Both Thighs

angst - fluff
TW: discussions of self-harm
season 6 spoilers.

Wilson PoV

House has always rubbed his thigh. His right thigh. I've always noticed that. Whenever the pain got bad at work, especially, he used to rub against the hole in his thigh.

It pained me a little. To watch him rub against his burden, and as his best friend, there's nothing I can do about it. Nothing. At all. Other than brand a smile, whenever I get asked about 'my' Vicodin prescriptions to Dr. Gregory House. Even though deep down, I've only ever written a prescription for him twice.

But recently, I've noticed he's been rubbing both thighs. Which is strange because he's never damaged his left leg in any way. If anything, House always made sure to be extra careful with that leg just to make sure he never damaged it. So, seeing him rub that thigh was... strange.

I walk in on him doing a differential with his team, and I stand patiently waiting for its end. Although, House speaks up.

"Hello, my dear friend Wilson." He says, a playful smirk on his face. "What brings you here without a page?"

"Oh, I don't think this concerns them." I smile, trying to seem polite, as always.

House shoots me a strange look. "I'm not going to have sex with you in your office." He says, as if I've ever asked him that.

And for the record, I never have.

"That's not what I'm here for, so stop messing about and get your differential done." I (verbally) put my foot down, and House rolls his eyes and continues with his differential.

As he works, I watch him, his hands rotating from his left thigh to his right, and it was so strange. He never rubs his left thigh, so why now?

His team gets sent off to do tasks like blood panels and MRIs with contrast.

"So, what do you want?" House asks, his face slightly in concern.

I sigh. "I'm sorry for prying, but I can't keep this question hidden for longer, I care about you -"

"Yeah, yeah, get on with it." House stops me, just wanting to get on with it. "I'm a busy man."

"You keep... rubbing your left thigh, and it's worrying me." I start, House's expression faltering for a split second. "You never rub your left thigh, and recently, you've been doing it a lot. What's going on, House?"

"Nothing. Why should my rubbing concern you anyway? I rub my right thigh all the time. Why should I leave my left thigh out?" House asks.

For some reason, he's increasingly defensive. Which, by the way, only increases my suspicions by 100%.

I sigh. "You would tell me if there was something going on, right?" I ask, completely selfishly.

"I..." He starts. "I don't want to lie to you so... I wouldn't hold your breath."

I nod. At least he's being honest, but I think my suspicions have gone up by a thousand.

I leave it for a few more days, but... House gives me nothing to help me believe there's nothing wrong. He's still rubbing it at it, more subtly around me, but it doesn't help. Nothing does. I can't help but think the worst-case scenarios. I feel inclined to get in touch with his therapist, Dr. Nolan, but... I don't want to do that to him. The worst thing that could do is send him back to Mayfield, and that's the last thing I want to do.