Chapter 8

Raiden wiped the water down his face, staring at himself in the mirror. The marks were still dark and the pain still radiated throughout his body yet it was nothing he couldn't handle. He patted his face with a soft cloth, drying it before his forehead scrunched it in sharp pain.

Images flashed in his head from the evening he arrived at the castle as he clutched his head in agony. The group of masked men pummeling into his body, the flash of a symbol from a shirt, and the sharp pain of being stabbed in his stomach. His eyes shot open, glancing to the area in need of a rewrap.

A loud knock echoed on his door into the room, he looked briefly before rising from the chair. He quickly pulled it open to which Shang pushed his way inside. Behind Shang a few other women scrambled in holding clothing and facial powders.

Confusion laced Raiden's face, as the women began setting out the clothing trying to decipher what may look best while the others compared facial powders. Shang crossed his arms letting out a large breath before looking to Raiden.

"Tonight you will be accompanying the Queen. She is to be attending the 100th day celebration of King Young and Queen Yara's son. I expect her to come back as she is, not a hair out of place," Shang stated as he gestured towards the ladies, "They are here to make sure you are presentable. You are not only there to watch the Queen and her family, you are also her attending, you have to look the role."

"I understand," Raiden nodded as Cecilia came forth introducing herself before beginning to measure him, "Is there anything I should be aware of when it comes to the family or King Young?"

The question had thrown Shang off guard for a moment, not expecting that response but alas the man had kept surprising him.

"Misaki is allergic to shellfish, it is not severe but it is something to keep caution with. Makoto has a tendency to drink a little too much at these occasions, keep a steady eye on him as he doesn't like being told what to do. Astrid has had trouble with Young Sr., keep him away from her at all times," Shang's jaw ticked at that which Raiden noticed before kneeling down to help Cecilia with measurements, "Queen Sypha and King Young, they are both poised. You have nothing to worry about with those two."

"I see. Thank you, Shang."

Shang's chest was uncomfortably tight knowing he would be far from the family in case they needed him. He wasn't as trusting as the Queen, still having his reservations on Raiden but he had to trust her. Trust that she knew what she was doing and trust that Makoto could handle it if anything went south.

"I will leave you to it," Shang nodded, leaving the room quickly and the women immediately got to work gathering around Raiden.

***

Raiden watched as they tightened the robe on his waist, Cecilia stood on a small stool for height; they had never worked with a man quite this tall. Choi, another maid, finished up hiding the bruise on his eye as a softer knock thudded on the door. The maids stopped what they were doing, moving beside Raiden, who now stood at full height, as Sypha walked in.

Raiden's jaw dropped at the radiant beauty that is Sypha.The soft blue silk gown fit her like a glove, its long sleeve with its flared sleeve hung seamlessly and the train ran long behind her. Her hair was pulled up, pieces hanging into her face and by her ears. Her jewelry was simple, burmese pearl drop ears with a single hanging pearl necklace and one ring, the family heirloom, placed on her right hand. She looked minimal yet stunning.

"You are breathtaking, Sypha."

Sypha smiled, attempting to hide her blush and walked closer to where he stood admiring the traditional wear on his form. She could pinpoint the areas in which that had to length out the garments but other than that he looked good. Extremely good.