Chapter 92 - "Please, come back."

Start from the beginning

Lucius' eyes sharpened. "I guess we'll never know that since you all never tried."

"We we're going to try, Lucius." Dante took the lead next. He threw his arms in the air, which caused a flinch beside him, and that was when he realized Nate had been leaning on him. "We told you to wait until we were strong enough."

"Besides, our business was exposed," Bronsted defended as well, without turning his eyes away from Reno's wounded head. "If we took an entire fleet and went to Wolf's base, it would've left us defenceless; we would've definitely gotten attack."

"Those are risks you take for fucking family!" That caused all of them to inhale sharp breaths, halting their retorts for a moment. Lucius' shout had been a loud shriek, which made a few civilians hiding under tables nearby quietly distance themselves even more towards the locked doors. His breathing had grown heavier, and his sight repeatedly shifted from each brother before he snarled, "Raphael and I were fucking family to you, and none of you..." He pointed to all of them. "...Not a single one of came to look for either of us."

Dante swallowed hard. Part of what they had said was the truth, they hadn't gone to save them. "We weren't ready yet."

"It has been nine month," Lucius spat, reaching for Raphael's shoulder and pulling him behind him, shielding him from them. Raphael felt as if he could finally breathe, hidden behind Lucius' frame. Even staring at them was causing his heart to squeeze a bit tighter than it should. "Nine fucking months and you dare give me the excuse that you weren't ready?" he screeched between his gritted teeth.

"We were training," Reno persisted, glancing towards Dante who nodded his head on support. "We needed to get stronger to face Wolf again."

"And we suffered a huge loss," Bronsted continued the argument. "Molly was an important piece to us. Without him, we're basically blind."

Lucius burst into cackles, shaking his head in disbelief. Those excuses almost sounded believable, except they had no credibility to them. "None of you cared about getting stronger or being blind when it was time to go save Dante's lover boy!" That again caused all their lips to become sealed. "But all of a sudden, it's your own family and there's hesitation—"

Reno furrowed his brows even more. "Those were Draco's orders, not our own. You can't blame us for that."

"Clearly it was," Lucius snorted. "Draco failed with all of you, bunch of pussies that can't risk their lives to save their brother."

"What's your take on it, Ralphy?" Raphael's ears flickered when he heard Dante's voice address him. Being shielded from them by Lucius hadn't pushed him out of their minds. "You also think that we didn't save you two because we didn't care about either of you?"

There were no answer for a few seconds. However, when seconds grew to a minute, that was when Lucius glanced over his shoulder. When he saw the heavy breathing Raphael, whose lips were trembling, could barely form a sentence and sweat droplets leaking from the edge of his forehead, he realized that Raphael hadn't been as ready as he had claimed. Part of him still had care with this past, and when he saw how the sorrow behind those blue eyes of Raphael, staring back at him as if pleading to save him, the only thing Lucius felt was fury. All along, Raphael had acted as if they were a team on the same page, but in this moment, it was clear that the only true enemy to them was himself.

Thankfully, Raphael exhaled a long breath when they heard Blue's monotone voice state, "A reminder that we are not here for a family reunion but to get the money we're owed."

Dante glanced towards Reno and Bronsted who both shrugged their shoulders, appearing just as bemused as himself. He then raised an eyebrow towards Nate, for which his pain had finally subsided, and he always shrugged his shoulders in confusion. That was when their eyes all returned to Wolf's members. "We don't owe you anything."