"Because I loved you too much." (Charli Grant x Reader)

You and Charli had been practically inseparable since youth team. You did everything together, you went to the beach together, you went to restaurants together, you went practically everywhere with eachother.

If you were somewhere you could guarantee Charli wasn't far. It was a comfort, she was a comfort to you.

Then you managed to both get a contract at Adelaide. You felt as if nothing could go wrong, you would play as one when you were on the pitch together, with you both being defenders and being on the same team you were unstoppable. You had been named the 'dream team', 'the ones to watch' and so many other things.

Then she just had to up and leave to Sweden.

To say it broke you would be an understatement, it shattered you. You felt like your world was caving in around you. Like you had been ripped from your home, like the only sense of familiarity you had basically your whole life had been ripped from under you. Leaving you alone. And scared.

But what hurt even more was the way Charli grew more distant. She would keep her distance, barely visited you when she came home to visit her family. Until eventually all contact stopped.

You had decided it was for the better, you changed your number, moved all the way to Arsenal but yet you still couldn't bring yourself to block her number. Just in case, you thought.

There never was a 'case' where you had the pleasure of seeing her name illuminate your phone screen again. Not for a long while.

***

Finally, you found peace. You had moved on, found new friends and a new sense of comfort in the Arsenal girls. Caitlin specifically taking you under her wing, calling herself your 'aussie mentor'. She made you laugh. It was a nice change of pace to the nights you had spent crying and screaming Charli's name in anger.

Then the world cup came around. You were desperately hoping for a call-up. So much so you hadn't slept the day before you were supposed to get the news. And when your phone finally rang, cutting through the deafening silence that invaded your flat as you stared at your phone, picking your nails and biting your lip; you practically jumped onto the coffee table you had your phone perched on.

"Hello?" The caller said. Holy shit, you thought, I'm speaking with the coach of the fucking matildas.

"Hello, Ms Y/L/N?" Then you remembered you actually had to speak, so you cleared your throat.

"Uh, yes. Hello, this is me." You cringed at the way you nervously stumbled through your sentence.

"I'm calling to tell you you've received a call up. Welcome to the Matildas, Y/L/N. See you soon." They hung up. You shook with excitement. You cried with excitement. And you screamed so loudly you're surprised you didn't get a noise complaint the following day.

Sending a text to Caitlin, you grinned from ear to ear the rest of the week.

***

That is until you got to Australia and realised Charli was here, too. That was a very rude awakening.

During the first training session you of course were paired with Charli. You cursed under your breath as you begin doing keepy-ups with her back and forth.

"Grant," You said, your voice blunt, you were in no mood for her bullshit at the moment. You were here to win a world cup.

"Y/L/N," She said back, her voice quieter than yours and her usually vibrant eyes seemingly dimmed slightly at your tone. The ghost of a smirk that crossed her face when she saw you dying.

It was almost enough for you to want to hug her so tightly she couldn't breathe. God you had missed her.

***

At the end of the training session, for which you were paired with Charli the whole time, you had enough. You needed to speak to her, you needed closure. You needed her. You needed your best friend back.

You hung back in the locker rooms, waiting till everyone had left and as per usual Charli was the only still left over, she saw you and awkwardly gave you a tight lipped smile.

"Hey," You began.

"Hi," She said back. You felt your heart twist.

"I want to speak with you," You murmured.

"About what?" She questioned. You groaned out loud at her oblivious nature.

"Us, Char.." You said, slowly sitting down on the bench across from her.

"What about us?" She said again, clearly having caught on to what you meant, then again maybe she knew what you meant all along and was just trying to get off easy.

"Why did we drift apart, Charli?" You asked, your voice breaking slightly as tears welled in your eyes.

She sighed and wiped her eye with the back of her hand, her lip trembling when she met your eyes, it was enough to make you need to bite down a sob.

"Because I loved you too much, Y/N." Your eyes widened. She loved you? She loved you?

"What?" You said, standing slightly as you tried to get a handle on what she just said, "You- You love me?" You stumbled over your words.

"I get it, if the feelings aren't mutual. It's why I left for Sweden. I thought you were straight. And I didn't want to make things weird-" You cut her off by bringing her into a searing kiss.

When you finally broke apart, you rested your forehead against hers, your hands clutching either side of her face as if she would walk away from you again, as if this wall just a figment of your imagination, or even a dream. But if it was, you never wanted it to end.

"I am so madly in love with you, you massive idiot."

She chuckled, bringing you into another soft kiss.

At least you had your girl back. And even if it went way differently than you imagined, it still went so incredibly well.

***

Hello! Once again I would like to thank the requester for sending this request in! I had good fun writing it and I hope you have good fun reading it! Hope you're all well and have a good day.

-Author

:)