Chapter 3: Cracks

It was now the next day, and Mimic was now at the temple with Steven and Connie, who Steven introduced to Mimic, they were seemingly waiting for someone while the crystal gems were playing baseball outside. Mimic was sitting on the couch watching Connie and Steven talk.

Connie: ( to Steven: ) So, their only form of communication is mimicking voices of others and writing, and they have the ability to change their appearance of whoever they touch?

Steven: From what I've seen, yes. And they also seem to gain the gem's abilities too.

Connie: And the gems don't know what kind of gem they are.... Strange you would think someone knows what gem has that kind of ability. Wait... ( to Mimic: ) Do you permanently gain the abilities of gems you come in contact with or is it only temporary?

Mimic: ( mimics Connie's voice: ) " only temporary "

Connie: Huh...

Steven: What?

Connie: Well, maybe it might help to figure out what Mimic's gem powers could've been used for in Homeworld... Have you've tried asking the diamonds?

Steven: I'm waiting to see if we can figure this out on our own before asking the diamonds. I don't want to overwhelm Mimic with their presence, since they didn't have the greatest reputation before I made peace with the universe. Plus...

Steven and Connie turned to Mimic, who was looking at them unblinkingly with a blank expression.

Connie: ( whispers, to Steven: ) Are they not blinking...?

Steven: Yeah...

They then heard someone come inside the temple, and Mimic turned their head to see a pearl with a crack on one side of her face, walk in.

( A/n: I don't own the image )

Volleyball: You said you wanted to see me, Steven- ( sees Mimic ) Oh, hello. Who's this?

Steven: Volleyball, this is Mimic. Mimic, this is Volleyball.

Volleyball: It's nice to meet you, Mimic.

Mimic: ( mimics Pink Pearl's voice: ) " It's nice to meet you, Mimic "

Volleyball: Oh. I get why you're called " Mimic " now. ( chuckles )

Steven: We were wondering if you might be able to identify what kind of gem they are. Mimic, can you show Volleyball your gem?