Chapter 34: A Stalker In The Night

JACE HYDE

The street was quiet. No one was out and about at this time of the night. There were bound to be drunkards somewhere in the city at this hour but since Ren lived in a respectable neighborhood, one couldn't find anyone lingering on the streets out of their wits.

I cringed at the sound of the engine as I pulled my motorcycle into park at the side of the street, glancing up at the seventh floor where Ren's apartment was. The whole building was full of only influential people who had the fame and the money to own an apartment which came fully-furnished and with a spacious interior where they could live comfortably. In short, it was full of rich assholes who had enough to spare on lavish accommodations.

Ren had decided to buy an apartment because he wasn't a fan of big changes. After living in a studio apartment most of his life with his little sister and druggy mother, he didn't want to move into a house. I, on the other hand, had bought a house in the richer parts of London. I didn't want to live in an apartment even if I could pay rent for a luxurious penthouse. I wanted the place to myself.

Now, I had left my comfortable home which I had all to myself tonight, just how I liked it, to check up on Ahvi Takeda. Don't you dare ask me why. Unmounting my motorcycle, I walked into the building, nodding at the security guard at the door. He bowed his head, offering me a smile as I strode in.

It was not unusual for the guys to show up at Ren's apartment late at night. We often met at odd hours when the workload increased. But tonight, it was only me who had come and the reason for my visit had nothing to do with my best friend.

In the elevator, I pushed the button for the seventh floor, waiting as it whirred to life. It was cleaner and looked more expensive than other elevators I had been in. I wasn't surprised though because I knew that there were germaphobes and just plain rich snobs in the building so every surface of the building shone when the cleaners were at work.

The elevator door dinged open and I strode out, heading straight for Ren's apartment. There were only two apartments on each floor so it wasn't hard to find my friend's. I hurried to the familiar door made of brown wood and dug out the spare key Ren had given us in case of an emergency.

All of the guys had a spare key to each other's places for the sole purpose of having backup if something happened. I never thought I would be using the key and my friend's trust to sneak into his apartment to spy on his sister. I told myself that I was doing him a favor by coming here, by checking on her.

It was a bullshit excuse but I could find no other way to console myself. My heart had begun to pound in my chest, telling me how stupid my plan was and how royally fucked I would be if Ren happened to wake up and walk out of his room.

Shaking my head, I discarded the 'what if' scenarios altogether. I would only check on Ahvi and leave, I told myself. I tiptoed into the apartment, closing the front door behind me. Once I was sure it had locked behind me, I made my way down the silent hallway and toward Ahvi's room.

My skin crawled and a shudder ran down my spine as I was reminded of my nightmare. It was a lie. It was not real because in the darkened apartment, I could see that Ahvi's door was shut. No neon light seeped onto the floor. No blood on the threshold and definitely no shadowy figure looking at me.

I glanced over my shoulder when I reached her room. Ren's room and the guest room had been left behind without any consequence. Now all I had to do was check if Ahvi's room was unlocked. I didn't know what I would do if I found it locked. I hadn't thought that far. All I could do was hope that luck was on my side.

I put my hand on the doorknob and turned it. To my utter horror and relief, the door slid open without a squeak. The first thing that came to my mind at the sight of the slightly ajar door was that Ahvi was a fucking idiot. Who on earth didn't lock the door to their room when going to sleep? What if someone else had broken into the apartment whose intentions were not as pure as mine?