Chapter 27: Frenemies? Enemies? Fuck it.

AHVI TAKEDA

I paced the length of Eman's room, ready to go to the venue which Mr. Hashim had booked for the reception ceremony. The nikah had taken place this morning and the house was brimming with excitement and happiness. I would have been feeling the same if it hadn't been for the storm clouds looming over my head.

I had yet to call the sheriff. Jace had sent me his number like he had promised but I hadn't been able to muster up the courage to make the call yet. I was aware that the sooner I talked to him, the faster I would be able to put the incident behind me and move on.

I was already dressed in the outfit that once again, my best friend had gotten made for me. The long skirt, which Eman had called a lehenga, was difficult to walk in but I somehow managed. The high heels I wore on my feet helped but it was still an effort to move around. I had never been a fan of gowns and this skirt felt a lot like it. It was paired with a long-sleeved top which covered every inch of skin from my neck to my arms.

Once again, I had to take a dupatta with the outfit because almost no traditional Indian outfit was complete without one. Eman had pinned one end to the lehenga and draped the rest of the fabric over my shoulder, falling forward. My hair was pinned into a bun at the back of my head and I wore heavy earrings which I had gotten used to by now. A piece of ornament known as maang tikka rested on my forehead, the jewellery cold against my skin.

My makeup went well with the outfit, my deep red lips and kohl-lined eyes a beautiful compliment to the beige lehenga I wore. The dupatta was the same shade as my lipstick and I felt like a princess if I put away my discomfort and fears from my impending doom for a moment.

I glanced at my phone which I had tossed on the bed before I started getting ready, wondering if I should just go for it. But just then, the door to Eman's room opened and my best friend peeked inside.

"We are all ready to go, Vi. Come on." She gestured for me to follow her. She was dressed up and ready to leave, her purse peeking through the door as she spoke to me. Eman was wearing a variation of my outfit in a color combination of white and gold. She had paired it with a white, silk hijab, her own dupatta pinned across her chest.

She wore a neutral eye look and brown lipstick that complimented her outfit. Her earrings peeked from behind her hijab and her tikka seemed to make her face glow. As always, she looked beautiful in a way that only Eman could.

"Is my brother here?" I asked nervously as I walked to the bed to retrieve my phone.

I hadn't talked to Ren in two days, since I barged out of the apartment angry at him and his best friend and the world in general. I had gone back home the morning following my confession to Eman and my fight with Jace but Ren had already left. Hailey was there though and had seemed disappointed to see me. As if she was ever happy to see me. Except for when she needed a place to stay.

"The guys and Kiara are waiting downstairs for you." Eman responded, her gaze turning sympathetic as I tensed at the mention of Jace's girlfriend.

"I still don't know why she was invited." I mumbled under my breath as I put my phone in the purse I had bought after Eman had showed me my outfit yesterday. It was a beige clutch with golden beads on the handle. It was beautiful and buying it was perhaps one of the few sources of dopamine I had these days.

"Nikhat insisted. I tried to talk her out of it but when has my sister ever listened to me?" Eman shook her head. "You can always come in the car with us, you know." She searched my face as I switched off the lights in the room and walked to the door.

"I will be fine." I gave her a smile that I hoped was convincing as we stepped into the hallway. We made our way downstairs without a word, Eman's offer hanging in the air between us still. I knew I could just turn to her and tell her that I didn't want to be in the same car as Jace and Kiara and she would let me come with her and her cousins. But that would be awkward for both parties because I was close with Eman and Nikhat, not their cousins.