Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Ava stared at the stool where the man with the green eyes had been sitting, she had only looked away for a split second, and now he was nowhere to be seen. She had never seen him in the club before, she was in there most nights, and he just did not fit in with the usual people that drank there.

“Excuse me?” she asked the bartender as he cleared empty glasses from the bar.

He turned to look at her and smiled, “Another drink?” he asked.

Ava shook her head and pointed to the stool where the man had sat, “Who was that man?” she asked him curiously.

The bartender shrugged and carried on clearing the glasses, Ava rolled her eyes, he probably thought she was an idiot. There were so many people that passed through that club, he wouldn’t know everyone, she was foolish to assume that.

She didn’t feel much like drinking now, so she decided to walk around the club and see if she could find the mystery man, just to thank him for the drink. Her heels clicked against the glossy tiles of the floor as she walked through the club, it was then that she noticed that for a Monday the club seemed to be unusually busy.

It wasn’t the only unusual thing she noticed, it was the people that were in the club that night. They weren’t the usual crowd of executives that she was used to, no these people looked as though they had just stepped from a catalogue. She began to feel uneasy as she traipsed through the crowd on the dance floor, she could hear people whispering, and giggling, and men looking at her with hungry eyes. She decided against looking for the mysterious man any further and turned around bumping straight into a man that she soon recognised as her ex-husband.

“What the hell are you doing here!” she hissed, her worry now turning to anger.

Chase bit his lip in anger and grabbed her upper arm dragging her away from the crowd that seemed to be closing in on her, “I could ask you the same question?” he spat.

Ava shook herself free of Chase’s grip and stormed outside needing some fresh air, she leaned against a wall taking deep breaths, getting ready for the argument she knew was about to happen. Just as she suspected Chase was not far behind her, he stood in front of her a look of worry on his face.

“Go home Ava, it’s not safe around here!” he warned her.

Ava couldn’t fathom Chase’s sudden nervousness, it wasn’t like him at all, and even when they were married, he had never tried to tell her what to do, so why did he care now she wondered. She watched him as he rubbed his hands over his jeans nervously.

“What’s going on?” She asked suspiciously, she knew when he was worried about something he always acted the same.

Chase looked at her and shook his head as though he had no idea what she was talking about, he glanced around checking out who was within earshot before he spoke, “Nothing is going on, it’s just not safe for a woman to be out alone at this time of night, I still care about you. Come on my car is just around that corner.” He told her.

Ava was surprised by her own reaction and before it had sunk it properly; her hand had collided with his cheek in a deafening slap, “How dare you. You don’t care if you cared you wouldn’t have slept with another woman, and not just any woman but my friend, so don’t you come here and make out that you care!” she yelled at him.