|26|: Gift/تحفہ

Start from the beginning

"I want every room to be repaired. There should also be enough power supply. The kitchen downstairs needs some fixing as well as the roof. It's been leaking for some time."

Subhan told everything that has to be fixed to the team he hired for the shelter home. They were skilled workers, doing their work for years and with perfection.

"How much time you estimate?"

He asked the leader of the team. He was a short man with a reasonably short beard.

"It could take weeks or months. I'm not sure. We need to check the damage first."

Nodding at his response, he let the team do their work while he came outside to stand in the veranda. The cool Islamabad air made him smile. It's been long since he stand like this in the wind. Just basking in its embrace. Of course, his mind wasn't calm. It was everywhere. From making sure the shelter home gets to his real condition to the project his brother worked hard on. There is this pressure that always weighs him down. But a certain someone's presence calms the tornado inside him.

Safa.

The name escaped his lips. It almost felt like the wind carried it away. He took out the phone from his pocket and was about to dial her number when he heard soft padding of footsteps. Craning his neck he saw that teenager girl. She was dressed in a pink plush kurta set.

"Hey."

He didn't know how to address her. She grinned at him and asked

"You were enjoying the air, don't you?"

A laugh escaped his lips as he saw the girl wiggling his eyebrows at him. He nodded while a smile still marred his lips.

"I like it in here. A lot."

She puts emphasis on the last sentence. She walked around the veranda and twirled.

"What is your name?"

He couldn't help, but ask. He didn't know anyone's names. But something tells him that she would be a good person to be friends with.

"Mehr."

"That's a good name."

He said to her, but it only fell to deaf ears. She was busy twirling with the wind. He eyed his phone wanting to call his wife. To talk to her. Know what she's up to.

"Am I disturbing you?"

He looked up as he saw the young girl has stopped her twirling and was now facing him.

"No, not at all."

He pocketed his phone, not wanting to come of rude.

"I know you're married. She must be lucky whoever she is."

A smiled took upon his features. Nothing could beat the happiness he feels when someone talks about his wife.

"She'll want to be friends with you, that's for sure. "

The young girl grinned at him. A faint voice came from inside and Mehr looked at him apologetically.

"I know you're fixing this place. But let this place be as it is."

Her request came off strange. He was thinking to turn this place into another room for more space.

"Okay."

He replied, but the girl was long gone.
~~~~~~~~~~

Safa was engrossed reading her book. The book Subhan gave him was long finished. She has already purchased a new one. She flipped the pages and closed it after she was done reading the chapter. Putting the book back on its place, she was gathering her hair in a clutcher when when she heard the ring of her phone. A smile formed on her lips as she attended the call from her husband.