Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Prachi was posted as a probationer in the district headquarters of Madhya Pradesh police services and she vowed to sort every other obstacle that came in her way of duty. She was more concerned for her new office colleagues as she could not assume rightly how easily they would acknowledge of her as one of their team members.

Upon reaching the office floor, she was informed by the gatekeeper that she firstly needed to report to the senior-most officer, who was her competent authority. Soon after her joining, she would be allotted her initial tasks along with focus on other rules and regulations of the services.

Paying heed to the words of the gatekeeper, Prachi set off towards the largest chamber of the same floor where she was asked to go and with her limbs staggering, she reached the corridor. She checked elsewhere if anybody was watching her before knocking on the door panel.

"Shall I come in?" Prachi was too soft on her voice and received no response.

She waited for a couple of minutes before the knob of the door moved, twisted and a very young lady came out of it. The woman seemed to be somewhere in her early thirties, and Prachi threw her a diligent smile.

"Sorry, ma'am, I am the new recruit, Pra-chi. . ."

"Oh yes, I know. Welcome to the office of the Director General of Police, Madhya Pradesh," the lady said promptly. Her voice sounded warm and welcoming to Prachi. "Since you have been posted at the district headquarters, you will be required to report to the Commissioner in every task you carry out during the period of your service."

Prachi shook her head. She did not know who the lady was though it was not difficult for her to understand that she was also an officer in the same department. The lady possessed a good height and a very impressive smile that could melt anyone who saw it. She was wearing a neatly tucked royal blue shirt and white trousers, and a gun was peeking out of one of her pockets.

The lady was quick enough to read Prachi's eyes who was intently taking note of her features and she waved it off with another warm smile. "Officer Prachi, you don't have to be so shocked about the gun because you will also be given one under your possession."

"Oh." Prachi widened her eyes. "You also work in the same depart-ment."

The lady extended her palm and said, "My name is Mukta Kaushik, Assistant Superintendent of Police."

Prachi took her hand quite charmingly and responded, "Nice to meet you, ma'am. Looking for-ward to work with you."

"Commissioner Sir has been informed about your arrival. You should go ahead and meet him in his cabin."

"Is this his cabin?" Prachi asked and noticed the name plate that read 'VISHWA NATH BUNDELA, COMMISSIONER.'

Prachi blinked her eyes as her mind wandered to the past. Had her father Vihaan continued with his services, he would have also been posted as a Commissioner somewhere in their state.

Obtaining another nod from Mukta, Prachi steadied herself to face one of the toughest officers in the state. She had heard of Vishwa Nath Bundela's achievements and past records before, but a sudden face-to-face encounter was something she had never planned for.

As the doorkeeper led her inside, Prachi could feel her heartbeat soaring higher. She ushered inside and saw a big man sitting in the middle of the gigantic chamber, reading something intently from a voluminous hardbound book.

Dismissing the guard with a wave of his hand, he gestured Prachi to take a seat opposite to his large mahogany table. Prachi's palpitations rose further when the man put down his book to look at his new junior-most colleague. By the physically fit figure he possessed, nobody could exactly guess his age to be fifty-two.