“Do you know who you are… When is your birthday?” Mikka  continued to ask me questions about myself and I answered them all, feeling a little confused why I was asked such questions.

“Do you know what happened to you?”

“Not really…” Nicholas  gave my hand a small squeeze which made me look at him.

“Is e-everything okay?”

“Elsa .” I looked back at Mikka . She was now looking at me with a serious expression. It had my heart beating faster. For some reason, I had a feeling I wasn’t going to like what she had to say.

“You were in a car accident.” I frowned and put a hand up to my head, feeling the bandage that was wrapped around me. I swallowed hard when I tried to remember the episode and my body tensed despite the pain. Small bits came rushing back to me and my breathing came out faster and louder as I squeezed Nicholas’s hand.

All those men were after us in the woods.

My mother!

“My mom…” I said in a panic and I tried to get out of bed.

I had to see if she was okay.

Mikka  tried to calm me but I ignored her and pushed her hands away.

“Elsa, stop. You’re hurting yourself.” Nicholas said when I kept groaning out in pain when I tried to move. He held me to prevent me from moving anymore and I already felt tears prickling in my eyes as I looked at him,

“My mom… She’s okay, right? She’s okay?” I held tightly onto his arms as I frantically looked around his face for any kind of answer. But the longer he was quiet, the more I understood.

Images of my mother being stabbed over and over made me let out a shocked gasp and my eyes went wide. Tears were already streaming down my face. I shook my head at him, waiting for him to tell me it was a terrible nightmare and everything was okay.

“I’m sorry…” Nicholas  confirmed it wasn’t a nightmare. Sobs escaped my lips and I broke down as he held me.

“You’re lying!” I screamed at him, trying to get out of his hold but he held me tightly as I cried into his chest.

My mother. The one who had taken care of me my whole life was… gone. My chest tightened painfully and hurt the more I cried.

She was my rock. She was my everything! How could she be gone just like that?

My entire body was shaking as he held me tightly into his. The tears didn’t seem to want to stop and I felt my heart breaking with every second passing.

I didn’t know for how long I was crying but my sobs stopped, and I felt numb.

“Baby… Our baby?” I asked emotionlessly and placed a hand  on my stomach. I remembered the pain I felt in the woods, seeing the thick stream of blood running down my legs.

Nicholas  looked at me and placed his hands on my cheeks. and,I saw the sadness visible in his eyes.

“The trauma… It was too much for your body to handle.” He explained carefully. I took a sharp intake of breath, feeling myself getting more broken inside.

“You had a miscarriage.” He said in an almost whisper.

I didn’t know how to digest what he said. I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest, leaving me in utter confusion. I was pregnant… I was bearing his baby. Now, our baby was gone too? Losing the baby we had just seen on a screen. A baby we had gotten excited about and had come to love… Everything was just gone in a blink of an eye.