Chapter Thirty-Five: Puzzle Pieces (S2 Bonus Chapter!)

Start from the beginning

"Dude we're late, let's—" Scott opened the door, immediately pausing in the doorway as he looked at my frazzled state. "What's wrong?" 

"Nothing." I immediatly responded. Scott's thick brows furrowed, knowing I was lying. He listened intent on the pounding beat of my heart inside my chest. 

"Were you asleep?" Scott asked. 

"Uh yeah, must have passed out reading." I nodded over to the book laying on my comforter. I slipped my hands under the comforter to hide the trembling, knowing Scott would be able to spot it. I held my breath in, hoping it would slow my heartbeat from the race it was currently in. 

"Okay..." Scott's eyes narrowed. 

"Did you say we were late?"

"Yeah, we're meeting Stiles at the pool. Let's go." He waived the sunscreen bottle and pool towel in his grasps. 

"Thanks for the heads up." I scoffed. 

"Dude, we talked about this last week." He reminded. I scanned my mind for any recognition of a memory of us discussing a pool trip. I came up blank. "Are you sure you're okay? This is like the third time this week you forgot something."

"I'm fine, Scott. I forgot. Sue me." I rolled my eyes, jumping out of bed in search for a swimsuit. 

☾☾☾

July 6, 2011 

I shot up my laying position on the couch, my chest heaving as my lungs gasped for air. My breath slowly tamed as I recognized myself to be in Stiles' living room. My shirt clung to my back, now slick with a cold sweat. It had happened again. It was the fourth time this week alone I had the dream. The same dream with the God damn door. They had become more frequent, at least every other night now. It was getting harder and harder to sleep. I ran a hand over my face, an exasperated sight escaping past my lips. 

The blue light of the television illuminated the dark room as the quiet hum of a laugh track took me out of my thoughts. A snore rumbled over the low volume of the television. Stiles laid on the floor, one hand buried deep in a bowl of popcorn. His chest gently rose and fell as he peacefully slept, blissfully unaware of me waking up in distress from yet another dream he knew nothing about. 

And if I could help it, it would stay like that for as long as possible. No more falling asleep during movie nights, I noted. 

☾☾☾

July 29, 2011 

It happened. Again. And again. And again.

It happened so much it was if I was losing my mind. With each dream, the impending fear of doom got worse. And worse. And worse. 

I couldn't take it anymore. All I wanted was a peaceful nights sleep without the door taunting me in the unconscious. 

And then I had a four day long break without the door. It was the longest I had gone without seeing that god damn door in weeks. And the only reason for that due to me forcing myself to stay up for four days. I had dozed off a few times here and there, but nothing more than mere minutes. I chugged espresso, praying to the coffee gods it would be on my side. 

But then I made the grave mistake of completing one entire page of a summer reading assignment while laying in my bed. My eyes grew heavy, feeling like they were a thousand pounds each, and they finally closed. The book had slipped out of my grasp and I had slipped into the unconsciousness.