17. Dead Man's Blood

Start from the beginning

"Just the way Dad does it," Dean remembered.

They made their way to the post office box. Dean opened it, his brother, sister and brother-in-law on each side. Dean removed a letter, stared, and showed it to Sam, Tasie and Levi. They shared a confused look.

The four got back into the Impala and Sam said, "'J.W.' You guys think? John Winchester?"

"I don't know," Dean replied. "Should we open it?"

There was a knock on Dean's window. Dean reared back, automatically raising his arm, fist clenched. John Winchester. When Dean saw his dad, his expression turned from shock to a smile.

"Dad?" Dean called.

John got in the backseat, next to Tasie who moved closer to her husband.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Sam asked. "Are you all right?"

"Yeah, I'm okay," John answered. "I read the news about Daniel, I got here as fast as I could. I saw you three at his place."

"Why didn't you come in, Dad?" Tasis questioned.

"You know why. Because I had to make sure you weren't followed... by anyone or anything. Nice job covering your tracks, by the way."

Dean looked proud as he said, "Yeah, well, we learned from the best."

"Wait, you came all the way out here for this Elkins guy?" Sam questioned.

"Yeah," John replied. "He was... he was a good man. He taught me a hell of a lot about hunting."

"Well, you never mentioned him to us."

"We had a... we had kind of a falling out. I hadn't seen him in years." He gestured to the envelope. "I should look at that." He opened it. "'If you're reading this, I'm already dead.'...that son of a bitch."

"What is it?" Dean asked.

"He had it the whole time."

"Dad, what?" Sam pressed.

"When you searched the place, did you see a gun? An old revolver, an antique, did you see it?"

"Ah, there was an old case, but it was empty," Dean replied.

"They have it."

"You mean whatever killed Elkins?"

John started to get out of the car. "We gotta pick up the trail."

"Wait. You want us to come with you?" Sam asked.

"If Elkins was telling the truth, we gotta find this gun."

"The gun, why?" Tasie wondered.

"Because it's important, that's why."

Tasie nodded, but had a clenched jaw. Levi placed a hand on her leg, trying to calm her.

"Dad, we don't even know what these things are, yet," Sam said.

"They were what Daniel Elkins killed best: Vampires," John said.

"Vampires?" Dean repeated. "I thought there was no such thing."

"You never even mentioned them, Dad," Sam added.

"I thought they were extinct," John admitted. "I thought Elkins and others had wiped them out. I was wrong."

John began explaining the lore of vampires. "Most vampire lore is crap. A cross won't repel them, sunlight won't kill them and neither will a stake. But the bloodlust, that's true. They need fresh human blood to survive. They were once people, so you won't know it's a vampire until it's too late."