THIRTY FOUR

While preparing for her meetup with Dr. Femi, Pendo's phone rang, interrupting her thoughts. Expecting James's call, she was surprised to hear a voice she didn't recognize, later identified as James's mother, who delivered unwelcome news about James's availability, leaving Pendo confused and shaken. Seeking clarity, Pendo dialled James's number, her anxiety palpable as she awaited his response.

"Hello?" James's voice sounded hesitant on the other end.

"James, it's me, Pendo. I just got a call from your mother. Can you please tell me what's going on?" Pendo's words tumbled out in a rush, her heart racing.

"Pendo, I... I'm sorry she called you like that. I didn't know she would," James replied, his voice tinged with regret.

"That's not an answer, James. What does she mean by you're 'no longer available'? Is there something you need to tell me?" Pendo's tone was firm, demanding answers.

James sighed. "Pendo, my mother has been pressuring me to marry someone she chose for me in the village. I didn't want to tell you because I didn't know how to explain it."

"Marry someone else? James, why didn't you talk to me about this before?" Pendo's surprise was evident in her voice.

"I know, Pendo. I should have. I didn't want to burden you with my family issues," James admitted, his regret palpable.

"But James, we were in a relationship. It would help if you had shared this with me. What do you want now?" Pendo's concern was clear as she pressed for answers.

"I don't know, Pendo. I'm stuck in a difficult situation. I care about you a lot, and I'm confused about what to do," James confessed, his uncertainty echoing through the phone.

"James, I need some time to think about all of this. I can't make any decisions right now. Please understand," Pendo's voice wavered with emotion as she requested space to process.

"I do understand, Pendo. I'm sorry for all of this," James replied, his tone filled with regret.

"Let's both take some time to think, okay? We'll talk later when things are clearer," Pendo suggested, hoping for resolution amidst the chaos.

The conversation ended, leaving Pendo grappling with conflicting emotions while Dr. Femi stood outside her door, a concerned expression on his face, oblivious to the turmoil unfolding within.

In the quiet intimacy of the moment, Pendo finds solace in Dr. Femi's presence, sharing with him the weight of her heartache and uncertainty regarding James.

"I don't know what to do, Femi. James's mother called and said he's no longer available. She wants him to marry someone else, and he's just... he's just going along with it."

Dr Femi listens attentively, his gaze filled with empathy and concern as he reaches out to gently grasp Pendo's hand. "I'm so sorry you're going through this, Pendo. It must be tough for you."

"It is. I thought James and I had something real, you know? But now... I don't know if I even want to be with someone who can't stand up for our relationship."

"You deserve someone who values and respects you, Pendo. Someone who will fight for you, no matter what."

"I know, but... it's all so complicated. I have Mara to think about, too. I don't want her to grow up without a father figure."

"You're an incredible mother, Pendo. And Mara is lucky to have you. But you also deserve happiness and love, not just for Mara's sake, but for your own."

Their conversation is interrupted by a brief moment of silence, the weight of their shared emotions hanging between them.

"You know,[he said softly] Pendo... maybe you should leave James and be with me instead. I'm willing to marry you and adopt Mara."

Pendo's eyes widen in surprise at Dr. Femi's unexpected proposition, her heart fluttering with a mixture of emotions. "Femi, I... I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything right now, Pendo. Just know that I care about you, and I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

Pendo, caught off guard by Dr. Femi's unexpected proposal, hesitates for a moment, her mind swirling with conflicting thoughts and emotions. Yet, amid uncertainty, she finds herself drawn to the idea of a future with him, a future where her parents and Mara could find happiness and stability. "You know, Femi, marrying you... it's not such a crazy idea," she admits tentatively, her voice betraying a hint of excitement mingled with apprehension. "My parents adore you, and Mara... well, she practically idolizes you. Maybe this could work." As the words leave her lips, Pendo's heart races with the possibility of a new beginning.