TWENTY SEVEN

Within the confines of the volunteer hostel, Dr. Femi's thoughts were like a connection with the recent encounter with Pendo's family. The warmth and hospitality they had extended lingered in his mind, casting a glow that contrasted with the clinical sterility of his usual surroundings. He found himself reflecting on the twists of fate that had led him to volunteer, a decision initially meant to divert his attention from Pendo, yet had unexpectedly brought him to her very village.

As the night cast its veil, he surrendered to sleep, only to find his subconscious becoming a canvas for the unspoken desires he had suppressed. In his dream, he once again stood beside Pendo, the air charged with an electric tension that defied words. The dream unravelled in vivid fragments – stolen glances, the brush of fingertips, the intoxicating allure of proximity. The boundary between reality and fantasy blurred, and he awoke with a disoriented jolt.

The dream's lingering heat clung to his thoughts as he blinked back into consciousness, leaving him in an oddly altered state. An unexpected collision of emotions had surged within him – desire, confusion, and a sense of vulnerability. The encounter with Pendo's family had irrevocably shifted something within him, stirring a longing he had tried to suppress. And now, in the quiet aftermath of the dream, he was left contemplating the intricate dance between his professional facade and the complexities of his heart's desires.

In the familiar surroundings of his village during the Christmas holidays, James found himself engaged in a dialogue that mirrored the conflict within his heart. His mother's stern gaze held a weight of authority that he had grown up respecting and sometimes resenting.

"James," his mother's voice was firm, "this attachment to that woman is not in your best interest, you are going to assume responsibility for her and the child. I've arranged for you to be introduced to a suitable match. It's time you focus on building a future not joining someone's future."

James struggled to meet her gaze, his mind torn between his love for Pendo and the expectations placed upon him. "Mother, I understand your concerns," he began cautiously, "but what I feel for Pendo is real. It's not something I can just dismiss."

His mother's expression remained resolute, her words laced with determination. "Love alone does not determine a future, James. I have your best interests at heart. You must trust my judgment."

As he stood there, torn between his affection for Pendo and his mother's wishes, James felt the weight of responsibility pressing down upon him. The conflict within him was far from resolved, and the love he held for Pendo remained. James found himself introduced to a beautiful village girl by his mother. The girl's eyes sparkled with an innocence that contrasted with the complexities of James's heart. His mother's intentions were clear, but he tried to downplay them, hoping to ease the situation.

"James," his mother said with a knowing smile, "this is Amina. She comes from a good family in the village."

James extended a polite greeting, but he couldn't help feeling conflicted. He engaged in conversation with Amina, trying to be respectful and pleasant, all the while aware that his heart still belonged to someone else. Despite the picturesque setting and the genuine kindness of the girl before him, his thoughts kept drifting to Pendo, the woman he couldn't forget.

"James," Amina said, her voice soft and friendly, "your mother has spoken so highly of you. It's a pleasure to finally meet you."

James managed a warm smile. "Likewise, Amina. It's always good to make new friends."

His mother observed their interaction closely, her hopes clear in her eyes. "Amina is a wonderful girl, James. She'll make a fine companion."

James nodded, choosing his words carefully. "I appreciate your efforts, Mother. Amina, it's nice to meet you, and I look forward to getting to know you better."

As the conversation continued, James couldn't help but wonder how he had found himself in this situation, torn between his mother's expectations and the love he held for Pendo.