FOUR

In a world colored by tradition and rigid societal norms, the meeting between James, a man with a heart full of hope, his fiancée, and his mother carries the weight of a thousand unspoken judgments. As they step into the living room, where the air is heavy with tension, James' mother casts a disapproving glance that seems to pierce through the fragile façade of their love. She, James' mother was aware that Pendo was a single mother of one. This was a notion that was not okay with her.

The room becomes a battleground, with the clash of cultures and expectations echoing in the silence. James' mother, a staunch adherent to the established African norms, views single motherhood as a mark of shame, a blemish on the pristine canvas of family lineage. Her disapproving eyes rake over the woman before her, seeing not the strength it took to navigate life's hardships alone, but a failure to uphold the conventions that have been etched into the very fabric of her being.

Pendo was standing with a brave smile, her heart pounding with a mix of anxiety and defiance. She feels the weight of James' love beside her, a steady anchor amidst the storm of disapproval. Her eyes meet those of James' mother, and in that brief moment, a silent exchange of emotions takes place. Pendo's gaze holds a plea for understanding, a plea for recognition of the battles she's fought and the scars she's carried. But James' mother's eyes remain hardened, guarded by the walls of tradition and expectations that she's known her whole life.

The room becomes a stage for unspoken confrontations, as James attempts to bridge the gap between the two women who represent two vastly different worlds. He speaks of his fiancée's strength, her resilience in the face of adversity, and the love they share that knows no boundaries. But his words fall on deaf ears, drowned out by the cacophony of judgment that has been ingrained in his mother's mind.

As the meeting unfolds, it becomes painfully clear that love alone cannot erase generations of prejudice and societal conditioning. Pendo watches as James' mother clings to her convictions, unable or unwilling to see beyond the surface of her partner's past. The room becomes a microcosm of a larger struggle—between the desire for love and acceptance, and the unyielding grip of tradition.

James: Mom, I want you to meet Pendo, my fiancée.

James' Mother: (Raises an eyebrow) Fiancée, you say? (Looks Pendo up and down with a judgmental gaze)

Pendo: (Nervously smiling) It's nice to meet you.

James: Mom, Pendo, and I are happy together. She's been through a lot and she's incredibly strong.

James' Mother: (Skeptical) Strong, huh? (Crosses her arms) So, Pendo, what do you do?

Pendo: I'm an online business owner gives me enough time with my young daughter because am a single mother

James' Mother: (Disapproving tone) A single mother? (Pauses, her disapproval evident in her eyes)

James: Mom, Pendo has faced challenges that have made her who she is today. Her strength and resilience are qualities I deeply admire.

Pendo: (Gathering courage) I've worked hard to provide for my child and myself. And James has been incredibly supportive and understanding.

James' Mother: (Remains stern) You know, our culture values certain things, certain traditions. Single motherhood isn't looked upon kindly.

Pendo: (Her voice shaking slightly) I understand, but I believe that love and strength come from the choices we make and the challenges we overcome.

James: Mom, I love her and I want you to give her a chance, to see her for the amazing person she is.

James' Mother: (Sighs) This is all a lot to take in, James. You know how important our traditions are to me.

Pendo: I respect that, and I'm not asking you to change your beliefs. I'm just asking for a chance to show you who I am.

James: (Holding Pendo's hand) Mom, I hope you can see the incredible woman I see when I look at her.

James' Mother: (Softens slightly) Let's see how things go, then. I'll reserve my judgment for now.

Pendo: (Smiles, with a hint of gratitude) Thank you, that's all I can ask for.

The tension in the room remained palpable, but in that moment, a glimmer of hope shines through the cracks of tradition and prejudice. and although the rest of the meeting was okay Pendo had a sense that this was about to go south because of all the stares she was receiving and with every step she felt her potential mothers in law silent judgment. In the end, the meeting  left an indelible mark on all present. James was caught in a crossfire, torn between his love for his fiancée and his loyalty to his mother. Pendo, despite her resilience, was reminded that the road ahead is fraught with obstacles that cannot be dismantled overnight. And James' mother, for all her convictions, was left to ponder the cost of clinging to prejudices that threaten to sever the ties that bind.