EIGHTEEN

Outside the hospital, the sky grew heavy with dark clouds, and a fine drizzle began to fall. James, Mara, and Pendo huddled together at the bus stop, waiting for their ride. The weather seemed to mirror the uncertainty of their situation, each raindrop a reflection of their complex emotions.

Just as they began to feel the dampness seep through, a familiar figure approached them. It was Dr. Femi, his expression thoughtful as he glanced at the growing storm. Without a word, he offered them a warm smile and a simple invitation.

"Would you like a ride?" he asked, his voice carrying genuine concern.

Pendo exchanged a surprised look with James, their unspoken agreement evident. Accepting the offer, they nodded gratefully.

As they settled into the car, the rain tapping a soothing rhythm on the roof, Dr. Femi's reevaluation of his decision hung in the air like a comforting embrace. The familiar interior of the car felt like a haven, a sanctuary from both the weather and the outside world. In that intimate space, the rain became a backdrop to newfound awkwardness. With mara in her own little world the three grown up could not help but wonder what the other eas thinking with regards to the conversation in the hospital with embarrassment weighing in on pendo the most.

The car's engine hummed to a stop as Dr. Femi parked near Pendo's apartment building. The atmosphere inside the car was tense, the air heavy with unspoken emotions. Mara had fallen asleep in the back seat, her innocent slumber offering a temporary respite from the growing storm that was brewing between Pendo and James.

"Thank you for the ride, Dr. Femi," Pendo said with a polite smile, the veneer of gratitude masking the turmoil she felt within.

Dr. Femi nodded, his eyes holding a mixture of understanding and concern. "Take care, both of you."

As the car doors closed, Pendo carried Mara's sleeping form, a bittersweet weight in her arms. She gently laid her daughter down, tucking her in with a tenderness that spoke of a mother's love. With Mara settled, she turned her attention to James, her eyes holding a mix of frustration and longing.

The tension in the room was palpable as their voices clashed, words exchanged in a heated exchange. Pendo's voice trembled with suppressed emotions as she recounted her feelings of embarrassment during their time at the hospital. James, on the other hand, seemed determined to avoid confrontation. His dismissive attitude only fueled Pendo's frustration, her emotions reaching a breaking point. Their argument escalated, words becoming sharper as the weight of unresolved issues bore down on them.

"I can't do this anymore, James," Pendo finally exclaimed, her voice a mixture of pain and determination. "I and even the doctor heard what was said by your mother in that hospital room, how long are we going to ignore the elephant in the room, she doesnt like us and i think its getting to you. do you even want o be with me."

James stood there, his expression torn between frustration and guilt. And then, without a word, he turned and walked out, leaving behind a trail of unfinished sentences and shattered connections. As the door closed behind him, the apartment was enveloped in a silence that echoed the rupture of their argument. Pendo stood there, her chest heaving with a mixture of anger, hurt, and a gnawing ache for the future she had once envisioned.

In the stillness of the night, Pendo found herself facing a crossroads. The echoes of their argument reverberated in her mind, forcing her to confront the stark reality of their relationship. The distance between her and James seemed insurmountable, the chasm widened by unspoken frustrations and differing priorities.