THIRTY THREE

James felt a sense of unease as he received a call from his mother, instructing him to come to the village immediately. He wondered what could be so urgent. Upon his arrival, his mother dropped a bombshell.

"James," she said, her tone firm, "it's time for your introduction ceremony. You are to marry the girl I introduced you to during the Christmas holiday."

James was taken aback. He hadn't expected things to escalate so quickly. The girl was nice, but he was still grappling with his feelings for Pendo. Yet, his mother's influence was not to be underestimated

Sitting under the shade of an ancient baobab tree, surrounded by the elders of his family and the prospective bride's family, James felt a mixture of frustration and helplessness. His mother had orchestrated this whole situation, and now he was at the center of an introduction ceremony to marry the girl she had chosen for him.

One of the elders, a wise-looking man with a long white beard, cleared his throat and fixed his gaze on James. "James," he began in a deep, authoritative voice, "we've all gathered here today to witness the union between your family and the family of the young woman your mother has chosen. It is a momentous occasion for both families."

James shifted uncomfortably in his seat, glancing around at the expectant faces of the elders. "I understand the significance of this ceremony," he replied, choosing his words carefully. "But I believe marriage is a matter of the heart. It shouldn't be rushed into without mutual understanding and consent."

His mother shot him a stern look, and a murmur of disapproval swept through the gathering. The elder who had spoken leaned forward, his eyes locked onto James. "We respect your perspective, James. But we also respect tradition and the wishes of your family. Your mother has made her intentions clear, and it is our duty to fulfill them."

James sighed, realizing that arguing further would only escalate the situation. "I don't want to dishonor my family," he conceded, "but I would appreciate some time to get to know the young woman better. It's important to me that we share some common ground before we commit to this."

His mother's eyes softened slightly, and she nodded in agreement. The elder considered James' request for a moment before nodding as well. "Very well, James. We shall continue with the ceremony after all its just introductions while you strongly consider what we want for you." James couldn't help but think about Pendo and Mara, the life he had started to build with them. He knew he needed to find a way to navigate this situation without hurting anyone, but it seemed like an impossible task.

The introduction ceremony continued smoothly, despite James's inner turmoil. The prospective bride, a young village girl named Amina, appeared radiant and excited throughout the proceedings. She wore a colorful dress adorned with intricate beadwork, her face adorned with a bright smile that never seemed to fade.

As the ceremony progressed, Amina's family shared stories of her upbringing and qualities, praising her virtues as a potential bride. James listened attentively, trying his best to show respect and interest in the proceedings. However, his thoughts frequently wandered to Pendo and Mara, the life he had with them, and the turmoil he was experiencing.

Amina's family seemed delighted by James's presence, interpreting it as a sign of his interest in their daughter. The village elders offered blessings and words of wisdom, highlighting the importance of unity and commitment in marriage.

Meanwhile, James's mother beamed with satisfaction, believing that her plan was coming to fruition. She had longed for him to settle down with a woman of her choosing, and the ceremony was a significant step in that direction.

Despite the festive atmosphere and the joy surrounding Amina and her family, James couldn't shake the feeling of unease. He knew he had a challenging road ahead, attempting to reconcile his family's wishes with his own feelings for Pendo and Mara.