"Accidenti," I cursed under my breath. "Thank you, Rosa. I'll go check on her."

With an acknowledging nod, Rosa left. I made my way upstairs to Sophie's bedroom, quietly slipping inside. Entering the bathroom, I found her seemingly asleep in the bathtub, her body hidden beneath a layer of soapy bubbles.

I kneeled next to the bathtub, tracing the curve of her face with my fingertips, her skin radiating warmth. "Mi togli il fiato strega, dovrei allontanarmi molto da te ma non posso. Cosa mi hai fatto?" You take my breath away, witch. I should stay far from you, but I can't. What have you done to me? I murmured in Italian, my fingers caressing her face.

She stirred in her sleep, mumbling something incoherent. I rolled up my sleeves, preparing to cleanse her skin of the soap suds. As I gently rinsed her, she opened her eyes, holding my gaze for a moment before slipping back into sleep.

I scooped her up effortlessly from the bathtub, carrying her to the bedroom. I dried her skin with a towel, taking in the sight of her swollen belly marked with tiny streaks of stretch marks. The reality of her impending delivery hit me hard. It was still so fresh, so new, and I was struggling to process it all.

"Gio, what are you doing here?" Her voice broke my contemplation.

"I noticed you fell asleep in the bathtub, so I brought you out," I explained, continuing to towel off her dark skin.

"You shouldn't be here. I was fine on my own," she protested weakly.

"I know, but I wanted to apologize for my mother's behavior. I'm truly sorry," I told her sincerely, meeting her gaze.

"It was embarrassing and honestly, all I want right now is to go back home, to where you found me."

"It's too late for that Sophie," I replied, my hand instinctively moving to caress her swollen belly. "You belong to me now."

"I belong to no one, Gio," she rebuffed me, crossing her arms over her bare chest.

"Are you cold?" I asked, noticing the goosebumps on her skin.

"Kinda," she admitted.

I pulled the duvet around her shoulders. "Do you want to sleep with me tonight?" she asked, her question catching me off guard.

"Only if you're okay with it," I responded.

"Make yourself at home, I guess. You can sleep on the bed with me," she offered, her long eyelashes fluttering.

I began to undress, amused by her raised eyebrow. "What?" I asked, a playful smile tugging at the corner of my lips.

"Nothing," she turned away, trying to hide her blush.

"It's okay to look,strega," I teased as I stripped down to my boxers and climbed into bed.

"Do you always sleep like this?" she queried, an innocent curiosity in her eyes.

"No," I drawled lazily, "I usually sleep naked, Strega." I smirked at her shocked expression, watching as she blushed and quickly averted her gaze.

"Do I look like Rosa's deceased daughter?" she asked suddenly, her expression unreadable.

"I was only eight when Lina died. I can't quite recall her features, but I remember her being dark-skinned. We can look at Rosa's pictures of her," I suggested gently.

"But how did Rosa have a black daughter?"

"From what I understand, Rosa fell in love with a black man. He fathered her child. His genes were dominant, I suppose," I explained.

"Poor woman. She's been through so much," Sophie murmured, her voice choked with emotion.

"Hold on," I turned to face her, "Don't tell me you're going to cry," I said, my voice laced with concern.

"I think I am," she sniffed, "It's these hormones."

"Hey, don't cry, amore mio," I cooed, pulling her close. She smelled sweet, a tantalizing mix of lavender and strawberry. I lulled her until her sobs subsided.

"You confuse me, Gio," she whispered after a while.

"How?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"One minute you're cold and grumpy, the next you're kind and warm. Who exactly are you?" she questioned, lifting her head to look at me.

"I guess I'm a thermostat," I replied, causing us both to burst into laughter.

"You're impossible, Gio," she said, stifling a yawn.

"You should get some sleep now, Strega. You've had a stressful day," I suggested.

"Yeah, you're right. So, sweet dreams, Mr. Grumpy," she retorted, snuggling closer to me.

Within a few moments, her soft snores filled the room. Watching her sleep in my arms, I was overcome with a profound sense of tenderness. I wanted to stay in this moment forever, away from the worries of the world. But reality was waiting, so I held her closer, cherishing our peaceful night together.

What advice would you give to Gio as he navigates the complexities of his personal life and his family obligations???