Development

"Y/n, you are smiling like an idiot. Check my workbook now."

Megumi has observed how you smiled wide, living in your little world as you waited for the kid to finish his task. This was the most peaceful your heart has ever felt so far since your darkest times. Your feeling just feels light like a feather.

"My mama is not like that and don't say bad words." Hikaru glares at the dark-haired kid.

"I'm not saying bad words. Idiot is not a bad word. You're such a baby."

"I'm not a baby."

"You're a baby. You are five!"

"And how old are you?"

"Six!"

The two children are exchanging banters left and right. They are not enemies, just kids being kids. At first, you were anxious that Megumi's strong way of talking would hurt or offend your son but Hikaru is a strong child despite appearing as soft-spoken. Hikaru has a fair share of quirks and spice as well, something that he got from his father.

Everyone must have been wondering why you have Hikaru with you. It all started with that night Satoru came into your house.

"From now on, I will leave you two alone. I will never take Hikaru away from you. I truly apologize for the trouble and pain that I've caused to you and Hikaru."

The moment Satoru drops those words, it brings pain to your heart. This is the right time to be more honest with your feelings and what you and Hikaru want.

You are Hikaru's mother and it is evident that the kid loves him. There's no more reason to compare who he loves more, it is not a competition in the first place. Hikaru can love you both fairly.

Satoru looks devastated; it was tough for him to let go of his son, you can see it through his eyes. Reaching out to his cold hands, you share some warmth as you look at him. He did the same.

"Maybe we don't even have to fight over this anymore..." A good start for you to muster your courage and suggest something you hoped he would agree to. "Do you want to raise Hikaru with me... together?"

"Y/n..."

He felt stupid for even thinking of giving Hikaru up easily after all the shits he has pulled against you.

Seeing Satoru's eyes widen for being shocked by your suggestion made you panic. Did you perhaps phrase your words wrongly? You gasp and try to correct yourself.

"I mean... I'm not saying we should live together... you know just co-parenting... we will be both present in Hikaru's life... but if you don't like it... I understand..." you stutter pretty badly.

"No no no, Y/n I understand what you meant," Satoru replies. He can't believe you would be kind enough to propose this setup. Though you are kind from the start, he doesn't doubt that at all. "I would love to raise him with you... but are you fine doing it with me? I mean after everything that I've said to you..."

"We both make mistakes and end up hurting not only both of us but Hikaru. It's time for us to set aside those differences and just like Geto said, act like a proper adult."

You, together with Satoru, had a heart-to-heart talk the same night, clearing things out and a little bit of catching up. He also admitted that he never submitted the paper you had signed so legally speaking, you are still Hikaru's legal parent and guardian. It brings him joy that you would arrange Hikaru's birth certificate once again and have his name on it.