Chapter 11: North Blue

Start from the beginning

I'll need to buy any others I get interested in, starting with this one on medical herbs. I then went to the medical section of the bookstore. There were a couple of basic things like wound binding, nothing I didn't already know until I saw one that focused on surgeries and procedures.

I reached for the book, grabbing the spine when another hand landed on top of mine.

"Sorry, I've made it first." I said, turning with a smile to the person who also tried to grab it. I was shocked seeing who it was, Trafalgar D. Law. He was authentic too. He had the correct hat.

He glanced at me then the book before sighing and moving his hand away. "Ya sure you'll understand the content?" His deep voice asked.

I gave him a look that read 'really'. "You can't be what? Two or three years older than me? Don't underestimate me. Tell you what, how about a wager?"

He thought before giving a single nod. "I'll at least hear you out." He sounded uninterested, but his eyes gave away his curiosity.

"I'm going to read this book and understand it all by tomorrow. If I fail to answer any question you throw at me while you look at the book then you can have it. If I answer them all correctly, you'll grant me a single wish. Even if I win I'll still be willing to sell the book at a low price. What do you say? Are you game?"

His face gave nothing away since he clearly already mastered the stoic expression. Finally, he spoke. "Where will we meet?" He asked.

I looked across the street and saw a cafe with outdoor seating. I pointed towards it. "We'll meet at that cafe at 9AM tomorrow morning." I answered.

He nodded in acceptance.

Seeing that everything was arranged, I then left to go purchase the books I had picked up. It was rather expensive, but my years saving up working at the bakery were paying off. I left the store, unsure of where Law was, but I didn't care much since I'll see him tomorrow.

Chi and I headed back to the plane, climbing up the island and passing many trees. The sun started to dip in the sky, showing an array of pinks, oranges, and reds in the sky. My headache was still there from learning too many things today. I'm gonna sleep before I kiss this text to learn about it. I'll wait until I leave to meet with Law tomorrow.

I crawled into my plane and made myself comfortable.

"Goodnight, Chi. Wake me when the sun rises."

"Chi!" Chi agreed but I fell asleep.

***Next Morning***

I just kissed the book and the knowledge hit me like a freight train. There were so many details and technical knowledge cramped into this large book.

I was nearly to the cafe across from the bookstore where I met Law yesterday. Chi was in my bag like usual, and I was carrying the book that earned me an audience with the Surgeon of Death.

I arrived about five minutes early to find that he had already beat me. He lazily raised a hand to show me where he was. Don't hurt yourself there Law. You were almost gentlemanly.

Taking a seat across from him at the table, I handed him the book. "Good Morning." I said before ordering some food from the waitress.

"That remains to be seen. We don't know who has won the wager yet." He replied to my greeting.

I laughed. I'd forgotten how serious he was, so I wasn't prepared. "I suppose you're right. In that case, fire away." I suggested.

He opened the text to a random page, scanned it for a minute then asked a question. This continued until my food came when we took a small break. Once I was done, with my delicious pancakes topped with strawberries we continued for another hour.