10 • THE MOMENT OF TRUTH

Start from the beginning

"So Uther punishes them for facing tyranny," Eowyn quietly said.

Gaius said nothing but merely nodded. Now she understood the slight disappointment in Ulric's eyes when Uther won his fight against the wraith. The knight must bear quite a great amount of resentment for the King of Camelot who he deemed responsible for the downfall of his kingdom. It must be quite hard for him to return every six months to face the man who had stripped him of his autonomy as a Usadian citizen. He and his people had been wronged by Uther, naturally, they wished for his reign to cease.

The three knocks on the doors brought Eowyn back from her thoughts. She did not have the time to stand up to go open the door that the guard who had knocked pushed it open.

"Eowyn, Gaius, your presence is required in the throne room," he said.

The mentor and the disciple shared a look. If the King had required their presence, it meant that something had happened. Perhaps a strange illness had attacked the inhabitants of Camelot or a strange creature had invaded the kingdoms. Whatever it was, Eowyn grabbed her pouch and followed the guard with Gaius. When they got to the throne room, the whole court was already there as well as Arthur, Lady Morgana, and Gwen. Merlin, who strangely looked grave, was in a serious conversation for a moment. When he caught sight of Eowyn, he smiled and gestured to her. When the woman turned, Eowyn's eyes lightened up as a luminous smile garnished her lips.

"Mother!" she ran to her mom and warmly embraced her. Hunith let out a chuckle as she gently patted her daughter's back. However, a frown immediately flawed her brow when she noticed the bruise near her mom's eyes. Eowyn gently cupped her face and slightly tilted her face to the side to have a better look at it. "What happened? Who did this to you?"

"I'm okay, Winnie," Hunith gently reassured her although Eowyn still took out a small recipient from her bag.

"It doesn't seem serious. You won't lose your eye," she opened the small recipient and applied the salve on the inflamed area. "This ointment will help with the pain,"

"It seems you have learned a lot of things here,"

"Well, someone has to make the travel here worthwhile," Eowyn closed the recipient and put it back in her bag as Merlin looked at her with wariness.

"What does that suppose to mean?" he asked.

"Nothing, brother. Nothing," she playfully smiled before turning back to their mom. "Why have you traveled to Camelot? It must be important,"

Hunith's gentle and proud smile that had been adorning her lips the moment her eyes had caught sight of her daughter gradually withered as her eyes grew sullen. Before she could answer her daughter's questions, the door of the throne room opened and Uther walked in. The court made way for him as he went to sit on his throne, Arthur beside him. Morgana and Gwen were standing close as well while Hunith stood in front of the King; Merlin, Eowyn, and Gaius a feet behind her.

"Why have you asked for this meeting?" Uther asked.

Hunith inhaled as the sorrow became more and more apparent on her face, which increased the worry already present in Eowyn's heart. For Hunith to have traveled all the way from Ealdor to Camelot, something grave must have happened.

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor," she quietly said. "There are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer. Please, we need your help,"