3 • THE MARK OF NIMUEH

"Aren't you scared?" Merlin asked, looking worried.

Earlier in the morning, when Eowyn was strolling in the lower town for her daily visit to offer her service as an apprentice physician, the girl stumbled upon a dead man who had died for an odd reason. At once, she rushed back to the chambers to alert Gaius. And with Merlin, they all went to examine the corpse whose skin was pale, eyes white, and veins blue. Before such a sight, Merlin was not very willing to get closer.

"Of what?" Eowyn asked, examining the corpse with Gaius.

"That you might catch whatever it is,"

"I'm the court physician, Merlin. This is part of our job. Most of the time there's nothing really to be scared of," Gaius said and turned the corpse so it laid off its back. Seeing that Eowyn's report was indeed true, worry began to creep into Gaius's heart for that he had never seen such disease.

"You were saying?" Merlin said.

"People mustn't see this. They will panic,"

Not waiting any more seconds, Merlin took a cloth that was hanging nearby and covered the corpse. The siblings managed to find a wheelbarrow and hid the corpse inside. All returned to the Physician's chambers but on the way, they crossed paths with Gwen. Merlin tried to distract her from what was in the wheelbarrow which ended up in the girl giving him a purple flower before they reached the chambres. There, they put the dead man on a table for better examination. Gaius took a magnifier and moved closer.

"I've never seen anything like this before,"

"Do you think it could be some kind of plague?" Merlin asked.

"We would have seen the symptoms beforehand," Eowyn shook her head. "People would have come to us,"

"I fear that something like this could never come from nature. But who has this kind of power?"

"You think it's caused by magic?" Eowyn asked and before the old man could answer, a voice boomed from the outside of the chambers.

"Merlin!" Arthur called. At once, the servant rushed to the door before Arthur could barge inside and blocked his way so he could not see the body.

"Erm... I'm on my way. Sorry, I'm late,"

"Don't worry. I'm getting used to it," the prince was about to speak again when he caught sight of the flower stuck in Merlin's scarf.

"Oh, er... Gwen, she gave it to me,"

"Tell Gaius my father wants to see him now,"

"Okay," Merlin closed the door and turned back to Gaius and Eowyn.

"Gaius-"

"I heard,"

"Why couldn't he just tell you himself?" Eowyn asked. Arthur came all the way along to the Physician's chambers where Gaius obviously was. He could have simply delivered the message after having traveled all the way here.

"Because that's the way it is. Merlin is a servant,"

"Wha... if he knew who I was, what I've done...,"