7 • THE GATES OF AVALON

Eowyn was sitting on her bed as she read a history book about the foundation of Camelot. After seeing these runes on Edwin's beetle box, she concluded that the unknown language that was used in the book Gaius had given her was also used to conjure spells, so she began studying Merlin's magic book. Inside, she found a chart with all the runes and their pronunciation, and in the midst of her study, she also noticed that some spells were a mix of this unknown language and old English. Therefore, she had undertaken a study of Camelot's history in the hope of understanding how the two languages came to mix.

From what she had understood, in the dawn of Albion, the first people, the celts also known as druids, were living peacefully on the land. They worshipped nature and were practitioners of magic. However, the serenity of the land had been disturbed when the Saxons from beyond the sea arrived and invaded the lands. Thus were born the nine first kingdoms of Albion; Camelot, Kent, Mercia, Wessex, Sussex, Essex, Northumbria, East Anglia, and Cenred. Centuries passed, and another group of people landed in Albion, the Vikings. Another war of territory and power began, but away from the battles, a peaceful group of people that had come along with the Vikings settled, and the tenth kingdom of Albion was born; Usad.

Old English, the language brought by the Saxons, had become the most spoken language. But the Vikings had brought from the Norse their tongue and writing system as well, Old Norse, which had mixed with Old English, thus explaining the traces of both languages in spells. From the example of Old Norse in the history book, it was clear that the book Gaius had given her was written in Old Norse. However, she had no way of deciphering it. She had asked Merlin for his help, but though he could read it, he could not speak it. He can read and say the words to incant spells but doesn't understand the meaning which Eowyn finds quite ridiculous. But it seemed that understanding each word was not necessary in the practice of magic.

But still, she had made some kind of advancement so she was still satisfied.

"You're still studying?"

Looking up, she saw Merlin entering the room and heading to his wardrobe.

"Yes— aren't you supposed to be helping Arthur?"

"I'm just briefly fetching a warmer jacket. We're going hunting— well, he'll do the hunting and I'll just carry his things," he grabbed a jacket and put it on. "You should come too so you can nurture your archery skills,"

"I wouldn't want to impose myself and I don't like hunting. Besides, I told Gwen I'd come to the market with her," she closed her book and put it away. "Which reminds me that I should get going as well,"

"Well, have fun then,"

"You too,"

Eowyn tied her hair in a low ponytail before taking her blue cape and putting it on. She greeted Gaius and left the chambers after putting on her pouch. In the lower town, she greeted the merchants that were now well acquainted with her. A few times a week, she would travel to the town to offer her service as the Physician's apprentice, out of charge of course. She knew some could not afford to visit the Physician's Chambers, for time or money reasons. So every time she had some free time, she would help the people of the lower town who had grown to appreciate the girl greatly.

Passing by the blacksmith's atelier, she greeted Tom, Gwen's father, and continued to their house just as Gwen stepped out of it.

"Hi, perfect timing," Gwen smiled.

The two girls hooked arms before heading to the market where Gwen needed to buy more vegetables and fruit. After everything that had happened, though the girls often meet in the castle and have chats in Morgana's chambers, it felt like ages since they did not just relax and stroll in town.