Captain nodded again, then looked at us all. "The governor turned to the citizens, asking to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. Our other units and cops are patrolling the streets. We will get more teams involved first thing tomorrow morning, and the security is now monitoring all the cameras in the whole city. Lonnie Hill is running out of room. We will find him, then make sure this can never happen again."

"We won't rest until we find them," Daz promised.

"Negative. Half of you should go to bed," Captain said. "You'll get six hours of sleep, then we switch. Who will volunteer to take the first shift?"

I raised my hand with most of the others, but Captain squinted his eyes at me.

"Riley, you're going to bed."

"No, I'm not," I said sternly. "Not until the mafia does."

Captain rolled his eyes with a sigh. "Fine, then. Daz, Reid, Chandler, Keita, and I will sleep first. The rest of you keep working. Nico will be in charge. At two in the morning, we switch."

"Yes, sir."

The rest of us watched while they left the room. It became much quieter now that half of the team was gone. I peered at the others. Most of them were working, but Ash spotted me watching them. He smiled at me.

"You know we got the short end of the stick, right?" he asked me.

"Why is that?" I asked, suddenly feeling a bit uncomfortable.

I didn't really know these teammates, and Captain and Reid had left...

"If shit hits the fan during the night, those who have slept will go out there on the field while we have to stay at the base," Ash explained.

"Oh... Well fuck..." I muttered. "Though I'm not trained yet, so I doubt Captain would let me come, anyway."

"I don't know," Nico joined the conversation, though he wasn't looking at me. "You already got him wrapped around your finger pretty well."

I was taken aback by his words. I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but this was Captain's mate.

"I'm... just a bit too stubborn sometimes... I just want to do my job," I explained carefully.

I was getting even more uncomfortable...

"Don't worry about that," Ash told me. "Captain can't say no to any of us until he actually needs to. And in that case, there is absolutely no way you can change his mind. I should know since I'm the one he needs to keep saying no to all the time."

"Got it," I said, peering at Nico, but he didn't seem to pay any attention to us anymore.

Was this going to be an issue...?

"Okay! Who needs coffee?" Ash asked.

"Not you," Rio told him sternly.

"What? Just a small cup. We've been up since four in the morning," Ash said.

"Ugh..." was Rio's reply. "It better fucking be a small one."

Ash grinned at him and turned to me. "Are you busy? Want to give me a hand?"

"Ash..." Rio said in a warning tone.

"What? I just want to get to know the new kid," Ash said.

Oh lord... Why didn't I just go to sleep with the rest of them? But I couldn't keep being afraid of them. I... I wanted to give them a chance, so why not start now?

"Sure," I said carefully.

But getting up from my seat and following him was quite hard. My omega was scared to be alone with this stranger. I fucking hated being scared all the time... So... I forced myself to follow him.