Chapter 6 || Ignorance

Start from the beginning

"is he up?" mrs park asks.

"i guess," aria smiles sarcastically at jimin, putting the phone on speaker. "you're on speaker, mom. jimin can hear you." she says, placing the phone on the counter towards jimin as she stands near the sink, resuming her job from earlier. jimin frowns at her, giving a glare, his hand gesturing towards the phone, but the mother is speaking already.

"jimin? are you sure you're doing okay by yourself, darling?"

jimin sighs deeply, massaging his temples, "yes, mom. can you please stop asking me that all the time?" he says, knowing what it must be about.

"i can't help it, son. i'm worried for you. now tell me, at least someone has to be there for you right? it's not a good thing to—"

"i've said this before and i'll repeat myself for you," aria stares at her brother, watching how he actually looks disappointed with their mother's behaviour, especially since it's about his wife. "yoona went to her parents because she missed them. i told her that she should go. it's not a big deal, relax."

aria knew that jimin loves yoona a lot and often steps up for her because she doesn't. but what's new here, is that mrs park actually shuts up. aria watches jimin not showing any interest in talking with the mother and soon ends the call without much exchange of words. oh how aria wishes she could do that. she blinks a few times, looking down at her hands, washing the carrot she has been holding under the faucet for about five minutes.

yoona got lucky and found a good husband. not everyone is born with a silver spoon, though. it's funny how one of the biggest decisions of a person's life is taken by their families without any consent. you might get lucky if you've done any good deeds in this life or the previous one, or you could end up being beaten every day and night, treated like a puppet with no respect and existence of your own.

aria prays that she turns out lucky.

"the carrot looks fine to me." jimin says, standing beside the sister, leaning against the counter with his arms casually resting back on the counter top behind him. aria puts the vegetables down, washing her hands for a minute and finally grabs a towel, hissing to herself at the loss of cold water on her skin. "you good?"

"yeah," she nods, "you can go and sit. i'm cooking for us."

"i'm good." he hums, opening the fridge, then pauses to take a glance back at the things she has brought out to prepare dinner. he closes the door of the fridge and picks up a pan, flipping it in the air and catches it with a smile, "move aside. let me show you how good of a cook i've become. yoona taught me some of her best recipes."

aria looks at jimin, a subtle frown appearing on her brows, scrunching them together in confusion and jimin nods, "yeah, you don't believe me?" he chuckles.

"she taught you?" aria mumbles, "you cook at home?"

"sometimes." he hums, pushing her aside and turns on the stove, placing the pan on it. to aria it all feels wierd for she had never seen jimin work at home, nor their father. males in general aren't made to work in the kitchen for what she has seen and learnt ao far. even jungkook, despite liking the skill, doesn't cook at home because he also has a mother who pampers him and doesn't even let him pick up his cups with his hands.

"why?" she asks, "yoona doesn't cook..?"

"she does. she's amazing. but just to help her sometimes, or when she's on her period, or she doesn't feel like working, y'know? we have those days when we want breakfast in bed." he chuckles. "she loves that."

aria blinks a few times, staring at jimin and nods slowly, letting out a breathy surprised laugh, "wow. that's very... new..." jimin's smile turns sadder, glancing at his sister and nods his head, opening his free arm for her. aria steps closer, hugging his taller frame from the side and looks up, "i didn't know men work in the kitchen too... or that wives got to relax?"