Ch. V [5] ♡

Cedric was able to make his way back to France in about 1 hour, tops. maybe 1 and a half. it possibly would've been sooner, however he had trouble configuring his cardinal directions.

he was in Paris, but... how was he to find Drake? he wandered the city for a time, spotting his old university.

"perhaps I could visit..."

he was somehow able to stay out of the sun for an extended duration until he was in the university's main building. he didn't spot anyone he knew immediately, however, walking further, he saw his favorite professor: Sir Gilroy Howe otherwise known as Professor Foss. the story was that Foss never liked his birth name. so he made a new one. only Cedric was the one to know that story. it was odd, but Foss was an odd man.

"Professor Foss."

"Cedric Alistair, my boy; hello! it's been some time, hasn't it? may I ask what brings you back to Paris?"

"... business," Cedric replied simply. what else was he to say? that he'd been turned into an undead creature of the night and was going to become the property of another? live in his house and be there to do with as he pleased?
it didn't seem like a very appropriate answer.

"business, yes of course! you studied... what was it? finance management? you were going to be a banker, yes?"

"that was the plan," Cedric sighed with a gloomy smile. "I've only stopped by for a moment. the... meeting is due to start any minute. would you like me to help carry the bags to your classroom?"

Professor Foss lit up. "yes, thank you, my boy. I'm getting up in age, and I don't think carrying these heavy satchels is very good for me!"

"really?" Cedric could feel himself slipping back into his old college persona. "why, Foss, you don't look a day over 80!"

Foss groaned. "Alistair, I'm only 51! you wound me!" he laughed. "come, let's put these things in my classroom. I don't wamt you to miss your oh-so-important business meeting."

it felt good for Cedric to fall back into his long forgotten stride, even just for a moment. the two men had their banter just like they used to in Cedric's college days. then they went their separate ways.

-

Nighttime had befallen the city, causing Cedric to become slightly panicked. he remembered to altercation outside of the vampire tavern that could've ended so badly for him had Drake not stepped in. he was afraid to go back, but he didn't really have any other choice.

inside the tavern, this time, Cedric didn't feel quite as threatened. however, he still remained cautious. anything could happen in a place like that.

he looked around, and he suddenly felt something that made his hair stand on end. he turned around swiftly.

Ran Mao.

"indeed," said Ran Mao. "I believe you are one of mine."

"you... can read my thoughts...?"

"kf course. any seasoned vampire can." Ran Mao's red lips curled into a smile - a smile that, at one point, had Cedric wanting to take her to bed. but this smile made him shudder. he narrowed his eyes in understandable suspicion.