Poor, Oblivious Boys - Daylight

This is Hermione's POV of chapter 27 of Daylight. I'd originally meant to publish this instead of Harry's POV, but I eventually decided Harry's flowed better with the story.

Hermione sat in one of the best seats by the fire in the Gryffindor Common room. She was writing a nice, long letter to Viktor and had already filled half a roll of parchment, which was dangling from the edge of the table. Ron was lying on the hearthrug, trying to finish his Transfiguration homework. They had been there in comfortable silence for almost half an hour when Harry finally returned from the Room of Requirement.

Hermione sighed a bit, relieved that he was back. She had been very worried that he had been caught by Filch, or, even worse, Umbridge.

"What kept you?" Ron asked, as Harry sank into the armchair next to Hermione's.

Harry didn't answer. Hermione peered at him over the top of her quill. The boy seemed to be in a state of shock. He had a glazed look in his eyes, which made Hermione suspect a certain Ravenclaw had been the reason behind him staying out so long. She didn't want to interrogate him, but eventually her curiosity got the best of her.

"Are you all right, Harry?" she asked. Harry gave a halfhearted shrug.

Hermione bit her lip to refrain from smirking. It definitely had something to do with Cho Chang.

"What's up?" said Ron, hoisting himself up on his elbow to get a clearer view of Harry. "What's happened?"

Harry hesitated. He opened his mouth to reply, then shut it and shook his head slightly. Hermione was starting to get impatient and decided it was high time she took matters into her own hands.

"Is it Cho?" she asked in a businesslike way. "Did she corner you after the meeting?"

Harry nodded, a look of numb surprise on his face. Ron sniggered, but Hermione shot him a sharp look, and he cut himself off quickly, turning his mirthful noise into a pitiful imitation of a cough.

"So — er — what did she want?" he asked in a mock casual voice.

"She —" Harry began, rather hoarsely. He cleared his throat and tried again. "She — er —"

"Did you kiss?" asked Hermione briskly.

Ron sat up so fast that he sent his ink bottle flying all over the rug. Disregarding this completely he stared avidly at Harry.

"Well?" he demanded.

Harry looked from Ron's expression of mingled curiosity and hilarity to Hermione's slight frown, and nodded.

"HA!" Ron made a triumphant gesture with his fist and went into a raucous peal of laughter that made several timid-looking second years over beside the window jump. A reluctant grin spread over Harry's face as he watched Ron rolling around on the hearthrug. Hermione gave Ron a look of deep disgust and returned to her letter.

He is so insensitive, Hermione fumed. Couldn't he see that this was entirely new territory for Harry? The poor boy had finally seen results from his crush. He needed support and encouragement from the two of them, not loads of teasing!

"Well?" Ron said finally, looking up at Harry. "How was it?"

Harry considered for a moment.

"Wet," he said truthfully.

Hermione frowned in confusion. Ron made a noise that might have indicated jubilation or disgust, it was hard to tell.

"Because she was crying," Harry continued heavily.