Chapter Three

MADDIE

I step off the luxurious jet and onto the ground below me. We've landed after about 6 hours and I look around. I see a young man standing by a sleek black car, he's leaning against the side of the car and he's staring intensely at his screen, typing every few moments. He's tall, like, insanely tall, I stand at 5'2 right not, but I'm bound to grow. I didn't eat much when I lived with mom and Daniel, they gave me enough to keep me alive, but never more. On a lucky night, I'd have a packet of baby carrots, if they were feeling especially generous, I might get a glass of water. The male's eyes are striking, they remind me of mom's, the thought gives me chills.

This is my brother.

I hesitate nervously, contemplating whether or not I should walk over to him. Will he be mad if I interrupt him. Whatever he's doing looks important. Suddenly, he looks up and his eyes meet mine.

I'm not gonna lie, on the fly here I didn't know what to expect. Is this gonna be some dramatic meeting? Is he gonna be overly excited? I'm nervous.

He slides his phone into his pocket and walks over with a grin, arms outstretched for a hug, I take a step back, "Hello," Is all I manage.

"Madison, right?" He says.

"Just Maddie is fine."

I mentally kick myself for such a stupid greeting, but I don't kick myself for not hugging him right away, I barely know him. I still can't fight the urge but to open my mouth to apologize. He takes it in stride though, "Right. Sorry. I'm a complete stranger," He says it playfully, but I can tell the last part stings him to say.

"I can take your bags?" He offers, but doesn't wait for me to answer, instead just grabbing my suitcase and sliding it into the trunk. I tighten my hands on my bookbag, hoping he doesn't try to take it, and thankfully he doesn't. This bookbag has my valued possessions in it. The snowglobe I got from Jess, the Junior Varsity hoodie I got from Chase, my battered phone and my mom's necklace. 

He opens the passenger door for me but I climb into the back of the expensive looking car. 

"You can sit up front," He offers. I shake my head slightly, "No thank you."

He climbs into the drivers' seat and watches through the mirror waiting for me to buckle in before pulling off.

"Comfy back there?" He asks, messing around with the dial for the A/C. I nod my head, but quickly verbalize, "Yes."

EMILIO

I glance at the rearview mirror and look at my little sister. She's clutching her tattered bookbag to her chest, she looks out the window, her expression is cautious.

I don't know what to say. I didn't know what to expect when picking her up, I still had in mind that she would be the bubbly little girl she was as a child, granted she was 2 at the time. But I'm sure Elena and Daniel treated her right. When we first got the call that she would be coming back, we found that she'd been living in Seattle with Elena and a new man named Daniel who Elena married 4 months after taking Maddie from us.

For 11 years we looked for her, 11 years Elena had kept her from us.

I'm a complete stranger to her. And I shouldn't be. I'm her brother for fucks' sake. I take a deep breath and regain composure, I realize Maddie's eyes are on me now. 

I give her a reassuring smile, "We're here."

MADDIE

I step out of the car, my jaw practically hits the floor as I take in the sight before me. The house — Sorry, mansion — is in front of me.