21 ~ 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒈𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔

Start from the beginning

Amber, it's none of your business, don't care.

But I do care a little.

— Hey, Mindy — I said

— Yeah?

She turned to me, and I made sure the others are busy with talking.

— I'll ride you home after school.

— Why? — she asked

— A good deed?

I said the first thing that came to mind. I won't tell her we need to talk.

— That's weird, Freeman — she laughed

— I know. So, yes or no?

— Since you insist.

— Amazing — I smiled — And now I say goodbye to everyone, it's time to support my cancer.

— Idiot — Liv said and others just said goodbye

I got up and left the table. I'm not really going for a cigarette. I need to check on Tara because... because that's what I want to do.

I left the canteen and started walking down the hall. I have no idea where she might be. I pull out my phone and dial Tara's number. I'm hesitating to start the call.

Should I meddle? I'm just complicating Tara's life. I don't think she needs me.

I'll just go out and smoke. If she needed help, she would let her friends know. Besides, why should I care?

I sighed and put my phone back in my pocket. I head towards the exit door. A quick cigarette will calm me down. I've been thinking too much about Tara since yesterday. It's just curiosity about what she has to do with me.

I left school and headed to the parking lot. I put the cigarette in my mouth and started searching for my lighter in my purse. Where the fuck is it?

And at that moment, three figures caught my attention. It's Tara, her mother and some guy. I don't think she's happy with their visit.

Suddenly, the guy shoved Tara so that her back hit the gate. What the fuck? This pissed me off. He's shouting something at her but I don't understand what.

I spat out my cigarette and started walking briskly towards them. Christina noticed me but said nothing. Of course, she's not sober. Being close enough, I grabbed the guy by his clothes and dragged him away from Tara. He's as drunk as Christina, so it wasn't difficult.

Tara looked at me in shock. She probably didn't expect me to be here.

— What the fuck you doing! — he shouted barely standing on his feet

— Leave her. You two — I said — Or...I don't know yet, but I'll think of something.

I know I wasn't supposed to get involved, but no guy is going to fucking jerk her off.

— She will give my money back first! — Christina said

— I don't know where Sam hid it! — Tara explained

— You're fucking lying — that weird guy said

This can't be her father.

— Shut up and fuck off — I lost my patience — We're going back to school.

I took Tara's hand and pulled her closer to me.

— Better stay out of this, Freeman — Christina said — And you'd better not bring my daughter in this whole lesbian thing.