23: Reflections

A curled hand, covered in dust and soot.

Gwen spotted a curled hand covered in dust and soot, peaking out from under the large concrete block as she stumbled onto the broken rubble. "What?" Her eyes widen as her body trembles, her spider sense going off the rails. Her body was overwhelmed with exhaustion and pain from the lizard's attack.

Maybe they were subjected to an experiment they didn't agree to? Gwen knew Dr. Connors was conducting these lizard concotion tests on random people that didn't know any better. Nevertheless, she rushed forward to save time, pulling off the debris from the person hidden underneath. Gwen let out a soft gasp, her eyes reflecting the face of Peter Parker. His expression was pained as he fluttered his eyes open.

There were bruises and cuts all over his face. His red and blue clothing torn all over his body as he coughed. Gwen was terrified.

"No no no no.. what did you do?!"

Gwen's voice turned soft compared to before, leaning down and placing Peter down in a more comfortable position as she held onto his neck and his back gently. Then, the adrenaline started fading, allowing her to process everything around her. She felt his body slowly going limp underneath her as she placed her hand on his chest to try to comfort him.

The rate of her breathing increased as she held Peter, shaking her head in disbelief. The mask covered her face as Peter's hand started  to raise. Gwen's vision blurred slightly as her eyes lock with his. His voice was weak and nimble. More than usual.

"I just wanted to be special.. like you, Gwen."

Gwen's eyes widen as her heart drops. He knew. All this time. Peter's fingers played with the hem of her costume mask. His lips curved into a slight reassuring smile, his brown hair ruffled and dirtied. Who.. Who's Gwen? She asked. Her instincts kick in, immediately grabbing Peter's hand to try to stop him from revealing her already known identity. Her stubborn denial was met with Peter's ever growing smile, his eyes half-lidded. He was barely staying awake.

"Everything's gonna be okay."

Peter's strength began to fade quickly as Gwen undestood what his words meant. She knew his comforting words only confirmed her worst fear. She began to panic, grabbing his hand and holding it as he continued muttering under his breathe. His voice slowly faded out into the cold night air of the Homecoming dance. Don't.. don't go. She raised her voice to compensate for his delicate one.

His half-lidded eyes slowly completed its journey as his fingers loosened on her hand. Gwen's gasps and loud exhales were heard. She examined his body one more time to try to see his chest rising and falling, her hand on his heart. Gwen never felt movement from him again. She stared down at his peaceful expression, her body filling with dread.

She was afraid to even touch him. To feel his life slipping away. His body growing colder as he lay on the remains of the school auditorium that he destroyed. Gwen mustered the courage during her panicked breathing to hold his face in her hands. Gently lifting his head up slightly as she examined his facial features.

Gwen was trying to deny this moment. She didn't want to experience this yet. They were supposed to grow old together. She saw it happen in different circumstances, so why couldn't he be allowed to do the same? Oh.. She let out a quick breathe. Oh Peter.. Her voice was turned into a whisper. Guilt driven, she held onto his limp body, hugging it as she grasped his shoulder. The other hand curled around his neck.