45 - Cupid's Arrow

Start from the beginning

Cyrus took out a smaller wooden box from inside the bag, reaching out to grab Remis' hand before he could retreat. He opened the small container and revealed a beautifully engraved silver ring with a large, pink diamond resting on its bed, glowing brilliantly in the room. Remis tried to retract his hand, but Cyrus retained his heavy grip, not letting him move back.

He slipped the ring on his hand deftly, wearing a satisfied smirk. He's so beautiful, he thought, sending shivers of ecstasy down his spine. He stared at the ring resting on his forefinger and felt a lump form in his throat. If you accept the ring, you're mine, okay, Rem?

"Look at that, a perfect fit." He drawled. He kissed the forefinger with the ring, holding his dangerous thoughts back, instead shooting a provocative look at the two behind him. "It must be fate."

Remis laughed awkwardly as he snatched his right hand back. Theodore was the first to react, stepping forward. Don't touch him, bastard. He cursed in his mind, but didn't voice it in fear of breaking Remis' impression of him.

He grabbed the hand and wiped the kissed finger vigorously with a handkerchief. "It's dirty, let me help you clean it, Rem~" Contrary to his sunny tone and smile, his words were sharp and targeted. He didn't stop rubbing the finger until the skin turned a light pink.

Remis took another step back, trying to ease the tense situation. "Ahahahaha... well... thank you for the gift, the ring is very pretty." And expensive. He added inwardly. "I'll... make sure to treasure it." Contrary to his intention, the air turned more tense. Remis gulped in apprehension, feeling the killing intent between Lucius and Cyrus. Their eyes seemed more cutthroat the longer the silence stood.

The prince, who stood silently behind the scene, suddenly cracked a smile. His shy disposition seemed to disappear in the face of the two men. "Rem, if you like it that much, then I'll give you a ring, too." He looked at Cyrus, his eyes bent into small crescents. "Rings are replaceable anyway, and mine will be better, so you can just throw that one out now if you want." He's my aide, none of you touch him. Lucius thought, gritting his teeth.

He turned back towards Remis with gleaming eyes, his smirk disappearing immediately, replaced by a flushed, bashful face.

"W-well... yeah, sure... c-can we go to the parlor room now...?" Remis' eyes swirled as he struggled to diffuse the situation. All I want is to get to Aileen!

Why is there so much arguing so early! You guys haven't even met the heroine yet!

----

As soon as the men entered the lavishly decorated room, Remis slammed the door shut and dashed away like the world depended on it. Meanwhile, Aileen looked on from the other couch with interest. Her originally graceful smile turned to a devilish grin as her mind wandered in impish paths. The three sat on the opposing sofa, their fists clenched as they struggled to keep their annoyance down.

"Good evening, my lords." She smirked, her eyes gleaming as she faced them. "How are you all on this fine day?"

The prince was the first to put down his hostility. He turned to Aileen, his mouth drawn into a regal smile. "Thank you for your concern, Lady Aileen. I'm doing wonderful." He said amicably.

Aileen seemed to be quite satisfied with his attitude. She spread her fan, covering her laugh. "Hmm. Good."

Seeing her response, Theodore jumped forward too and added, "My lady, you look absolutely gorgeous today."

"Yes, your hair looks particularly stunning." Cyrus finished.

Behind the fan, Aileen's mouth was curved into a smug smirk. "Well, thank you."

Actually, Aileen knew a long time ago that Remis was trying to set her up with them. However, it was too late for his efforts to come to fruition. After all, they were all too infatuated with him to ever let him go at this point. Aileen tilted her head charmingly, her fan covering her budding shrewd smirk.

"You know, Cyrus... there seems to be a vacant room near my brother. Since you both are very close and it's been a rather long time since you've met, of course." She giggled innocently. Cyrus' eyes lit up like stars. Then he shot a victorious glance at the two men sitting beside him. Theodore's mood darkened, his hands balling into tight fists.

This little shit... contrary to his puppyish countenance, Theodore was filled with killing intent. Once he returned home, he was sure to attack that brazen prime minister's son.

Unlike Theodore, the prince was quiet and quickly caught on. "My lady, it is to my deep pleasure to be invited to your manor." He smiled harmlessly and shifted forward. "You know, I have always been interested in staging a collaboration between the countdom and the palace. Perhaps... I should also sleep near him. That would help make up my mind."

Aileen's eyes widened. She didn't expect her brother's suitors to be so cooperative. She chuckled, waving her hand. "Well, then it should be done immediately." She paused, contemplating. "But... there doesn't seem to be another vacant room. I'm sorry, Prince, but you'll have to sleep with my brother. We'll bring in a bed for you. Will that be fine?" She faked worry, her words unhurried. Hook, line, and sinker. That duke's son, Theodore, will come running to me as soon as I leave.

Lucius beamed and nodded, trying to control his blooming happiness. After a few moments of silence, he pressed down his excited breathing and nodded hastily, unable to control his timid smile. "Well, I-I don't mind it."

Aileen clapped her hands, standing up from her couch. "Wonderful!" She whispered a command to the servant standing idly next to her, her eagerness growing. Sorry, Brother, but I'm afraid you won't be sending these suitors to my door in your lifetime.

She was more interested in reaping the benefits of their little crushes than to save Remis from those demons. So how about instead, I send them to yours?