10

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

The sun hung high in the sky, casting a warm glow over the empty city streets. There were only two fast-food chains left open in the easternmost part of New York: McDonald's and Burger King, and only one of them opened before nine o'clock in the morning.

"I'm hungry," Trinity whined for the nth time, causing Yuta to roll his eyes in faux annoyance. 

"We heard you the past seven times, Trin."

His stomach growled loudly at his statement causing the Purple to snicker quietly as he shot her a quick glare,

"Shut up."

They had left the mall at the break of dawn, their footsteps echoing in the parking lot, while the rest of the teenagers were still snug in their beds. The trio had been on the road for hours, and they had covered an impressive 156 miles before finding themselves in the city of Auburndale, a neighboring city known for its quaint charm.

The pastel-haired teen pulled the vehicle off the highway and smoothly glided it into the nearest exit. A prominent sign indicated that a fast-food joint was no more than 0.5 miles away.

She skillfully reversed the car into the restaurant's parking lot, positioning it for a quick and efficient exit. With the ignition turned off, the teen turned to her fellow passengers, her eyes filled with a sense of accomplishment, and a small, triumphant smile gracing her lips.

"I'll go get the food."

"What if there's someone in there?" He questioned, his fingers clenching the cash notes. Yuta voiced a valid concern, his brows furrowing with worry.

He reached into his backpack, among the newly acquired clothes and essential hygiene products, where Cate had thoughtfully tucked some spare cash, amounting to fifteen dollars in each bag. The trio now had the freedom to spend it however they pleased.

Trin didn't seem fazed by the possibility, however. With an air of casual confidence, she replied, "Not like they'll remember me anyway." She winked then took the money the boys extended to her, neatly tucking it away in the pocket of her hoodie. "One of you just be ready to drive when I get back."

Exiting the vehicle with a small, reassuring wave, she left Jaehyun to slip into the driver's seat while Yuta settled into the passenger side. The aroma of freshly cooked fries and mouthwatering burgers drifted on the breeze, causing their stomachs to growl even more in anticipation.

The two friends settled into a companionable silence as they waited in the car. Moments later, the upbeat notes of Jackson Wang's 100 ways filled the vehicle's speakers, and Yuta seized the moment to initiate a conversation.

"Jaehyun," he began, his tone holding a teasing undertone, earning a thoughtful hum from the younger teen. "What's going on between you and Trin?"

The mention of her name caused Jaehyun's cheeks to flush a similar shade of his hair. He stammered over his words, attempting to deny the feelings that had begun to surface, but his friend's smirk only widened. "I saw the kiss at the hotel, by the way."

Jaehyun let out an exasperated groan, his head dropping back to rest against the car seat at the revelation. "Come on, Yuta," Jaehyun muttered, his embarrassment palpable in the air. He shifted in his seat, wishing he could disappear into the fine leather. "It's not like that."

The older boy's laughter filled the car, a mischievous glint dancing in his eyes. "Oh, really? Because it looked like something to me."

The teasing only intensified Jaehyun's embarrassment, and he shot a pleading glance at his friend, silently begging for mercy. But the blonde was relentless, leaning in closer with a playful grin.

"Look," Yuta said, his tone softening. "I'm just messing with you. But seriously, if there's something going on, you know you can talk to me about it, right?"

Jaehyun sighed, the weight of his feelings suddenly heavy on his shoulders. "I like her," He confessed, his voice tinged with a sense of vulnerability. He leaned back in the car seat, contemplating the situation. "I don't know how it happened, but I know that I really do. I feel like I can really be myself, and be comfortable around her."

Yuta scoffed playfully, feigning an expression of mock hurt. "So you can't be all those things around me? That's hurtful." He placed his hand over his heart for dramatic effect, and his friend couldn't help but laugh.

"You planning on telling her anytime soon?" The blonde inquired, his curiosity piqued.

The younger male ran his hands through his hair, ruffling the auburn strands. "Yeah, I am... and I know we're searching for East River right now, so I want it to be special."

Yuta grinned, patting his friend on the back in a reassuring gesture. "You've got this, man. I've seen the way she looks at you."

Jaehyun chuckled, feeling a bit of relief wash over him. "Thanks."

Yuta winked at him, his eyes glinting mischievously. "Hey, you know I'm the number one advocate for the 'Jaenity' fan club."

Jaehyun laughed, shaking his head. "You're awesome, dude."

A moment later, the conversation was interrupted by a sight that made Jaehyun's heart flutter. Trinity emerged from the restaurant, a huge bag of food in one hand and a cup holder filled with milkshakes in the other. Her face was lit up with a radiant smile as she made her way towards the car.

Jaehyun's eyes widened as he watched her approach. "Wow," he muttered under his breath, utterly captivated by her presence. "She's stunning."

Yuta chuckled at his friend's enamored reaction and nudged him playfully. "Go help her out, loverboy." His teasing tone carried a hint of warmth, signaling his encouragement for Jaehyun to express his feelings to Trinity.

Jaehyun nodded, opened the car door, and stepped out, making his way toward his crush. She noticed him approaching and greeted him with a warm smile.

"Hey, let me get that."

Trinity handed him the cup holder, and their fingers brushed for a moment, sending a shiver down both their spines as they grinned sheepishly at each other.

Yuta watched from the car, his heart swelling with happiness for his friends. The bond between the two was undeniable, and he knew that whatever happened next, their friendship was strong enough to weather it all.

As they settled back into the car, the Purple in the back seat, Jaehyun couldn't stop himself from grinning. He knew that the moment was approaching when he would confess his feelings to her, and with their friend's encouragement, he felt more confident than ever.

With the scent of fast food in the air and the glow of the setting sun, the trio drove off, their laughter filling the car.