03

Warning: Mentions of death, death, and violence

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

"She should be waking up soon. Her temperature's back to normal."

"Okay good. Her fingers just moved!"

The soft fluorescent light bathed the sterile medical center in a pale, clinical glow. Lying on the pristine bed, Trinity's form began to stir, her long eyelashes fluttering against her cheeks. Her senses, like dormant embers, gradually awakened as she became aware of her unfamiliar surroundings. She blinked several times, her tired eyes slowly adjusting to the artificial brightness, and with great effort, she pushed herself into a semi-upright position, a sense of disorientation lingering in the air.

"Hey, hey, hey, take it easy." A deep, soothing voice filled Trinity's ears, offering reassurance and comfort. A gentle hand was placed behind her back, providing much-needed stability as she struggled to sit up. It was a familiar touch, and she gratefully accepted the help.

A friendly face appeared before her, a reassuring smile in place. In their outstretched hand, they held a cup of water, the condensation glistening on the surface. Trinity's parched throat welcomed the relief as she took the cup and sipped the cool liquid slowly, the sensation soothing her.

The teenager seated beside her, a caring presence, began to rub her back gently, a gesture of support and concern. Trinity took a deep breath, attempting to regain her composure, before finally asking the question that had been haunting her thoughts, "What happened?"

"Yuta saw you pass out during the frequency test," he replied, his gaze shifting to the other boy who nodded in confirmation.

Concern etched across their faces, they waited for Trinity's response. The gravity of the situation became apparent as they spoke further,

"Are you feeling okay now? You were burning up for hours." Yuta asked.

"Yeah... I'm fine now. Thanks, guys." Trinity gave them a warm smile before her eyes widened, "Did the results come out yet, Jae?"

Beside her, Jaehyun shook his head, drawing a relieved breath from his friend.

Yuta and Jaehyun were the rare constants of friendship in the unforgiving hellhole that was Veridale.

Jaehyun, a Green, had been identified as such during the color processing stage of camp, his intelligence evident through a battery of tests. But it was later, during a tense altercation with one of the camp controllers, that his psychokinetic powers unexpectedly manifested.

In a burst of unexplainable power, he had launched the man into the wall without a single touch. Before the bewildered soldier could retaliate, Yuta and Trinity had made an escape to the Lunch Hall, where Trinity used her own abilities to compel the soldier to forget the confrontation and everything associated with Jaehyun, leaving the man knocked out.