01

Warnings: Death and violence

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ

The aggressive sway of the bus as it rolled down little bumps on the road awakened the sleeping kids. A twelve-year-old with ebony black hair silently scanned the greyish interior of the yellow-orange vehicle. She glanced down at her wrist at the bracelet that was supposed to bring her happiness when she thought of her parents before sighing sadly and staring out the window.

It was the beginning.

The government wasn't scared of what happened to the dead kids or the empty spaces that they would leave behind.

Adjusting to a comfortable position, she let her eyes rake over the hunched frames of the other children. Most of them were asleep, with a minority staring out the window like she had been doing. Guarding the emergency door at the back of the bus was a soldier clothed in an army green combat uniform and coyote brown combat boots. In their hand was a long-barreled gun, and it was aimed at the children.

They were scared of us, the ones who lived.

Soon, there wouldn't be any kids anywhere.

After what seemed like forever, the bus pulled off the narrow road onto a smaller one full of dirt and muddy waters. The high fence caught the dark-haired girl's attention first.

You either died, or you went to the camps.

The grey sky illuminated everything in a moody, deep blue, but the fence remained a vibrant silver. Beyond the view of the windshield stood about a dozen men and women all dressed in a camo-patterned military camouflage, some marching beside the bus. Once the school bus skidded to a halt, the gates slid shut behind it. And they weren't the only ones.

There were five other buses parked in front of them with kids being forced out of the vehicle. The driver, who was also dressed in military attire, pulled a lever causing the doors of the bus to fly open loudly, startling the kids who had managed to fall back asleep.

"Move! Let's go! Don't try to run!" One of the soldiers barked as the kids exited the bus quickly.

"Don't talk."

"Don't do anything except anything that is asked of you. Failure to follow these instructions will be met with punishment."

The hate in the eyes of the soldiers may have sparked fear in the hearts of the younger kids, their innocent eyes wide with terror, but for the older kids, it ignited a fierce desire for rebellion.

As the last kid disembarked from the bus, his pale skin contrasting with his long brown hair, he stood tall, towering over most of the children. His defiant spirit was evident as he shouted, "Piss off!" His words reverberated through the tense air, and multiple faces in the crowd displayed a mix of shock, fear, and irritation at his audacity.