Escape.

It was a massive escape.

Holding the steering wheel, I hummed a tune.

“Are we really going?”

“Of course.”

“With the van?”

“There’s a perfectly functioning car here, so why bother catching a taxi.”

Everyone’s eyes widened in shock. I discreetly signaled Seong Jiwon.

“Jiwon, send the manager a gift card or something. An expensive one. And call him, telling him to take a break at a café for an hour or so.”

“Okay! We just have to pick him up later, right?”

Was Seong Jiwon unexpectedly excited?

I thought he would stop me, but he was the most excited and called the manager. The manager’s bewildered voice echoed from the other side of the phone.

“Manager, take a break! We’ll be back in an hour!”

Jiwon looked thrilled as if he were a child doing something naughty. Jeong Dajun glanced at me.

“Hoyun-hyung, your driver’s license…”

“Class 1, perfect score on the written test, perfect score on the practical test.”

“Good.”

“Let’s go.”

And so, we escaped.

The great escape of rookie idols.

Even with the van in tow.

When the manager hurriedly bought the kimbap and left the store, the van was already nowhere to be found.

Is this for real…?

***

I led the members to the express bus terminal. At first, some of the anxious members suddenly charged ahead as if their reins had been loosened.

Seong Jiwon constantly checked his phone for directions.

“Is it this way? Ah, no, not here?”

“Uh, I think it’s over there.”

Everyone had their hoods and hats pulled down, but they still gave off an “I’m a celebrity” vibe.

It wasn’t long ago that they had only appeared briefly on television, but they were already attracting attention like this…

I watched them fondly for a moment before turning back to Seong Jiwon, who was about to enter the wrong place.

“It’s this way!”

“Uh, isn’t it over there?”

“Right, it’s that way.”

Everyone seemed excited, either chatting away or whistling. I slowly followed them, observing the chaotic subway station.

I used to commute like this every day.

Now, I can hardly even ride the subway. The company was so cautious about it.

After always riding in a van, being in the subway felt like returning to my everyday life after so long. I paused to take in the familiar scenery before turning my head toward the members.

“…”

“Hyung! Hyung!”

Jeong Dajun excitedly pulled me. And then, I saw the advertisements on the subway station wall.