A New Year (January 1920)

Start from the beginning

"What about me?"

"You're my dad," she shrugged again, "there are certainly worse fathers."

Thomas looked at her with a serious expression. Did his daughter not like him? Weren't they so happy together on Christmas morning? Suddenly, he saw a broad smile spread across her face. She had been teasing him, "Dad!" the girl laughed, "You're my favorite person here!"

Emma had been certain: she wouldn't sleep through this year's New Year's Eve! However, things turned out differently, as they often do. And before the clock struck midnight, she had dozed off in her seated position at the table. Her arms were resting on the tabletop, and her head was nestled upon them. And somehow, she had been put to bed – probably by her Dad – even though she had intended to start the new year of 1920 with them.

When she eventually woke up, she realized by the clock in the room that it was already past midnight. Once again, she had overslept.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" she asked accusingly as Thomas entered the room.

"You were sound asleep," he defended himself, "Besides, that's not a nice way to start the new year."

Emma let out a long sigh, causing Thomas to observe her with amusement.

"Happy New Year, my little dwarf," he initiated. Emma, now in her defiant childlike posture, sitting on her bed with her arms crossed and her head lowered, glanced up briefly. "I wish you a Happy New Year too, Daddy!" she smiled before quickly returning to her defiant stance.

"Next time, I'll wake you up, I promise," Thomas grinned.

"Daaaad," Emma said. Thomas let out a sigh. It could only mean one thing: Emma had a request for him. He looked at his daughter expectantly as he took a deep drag from his cigarette.

"You've got your half day off coming up soon... and I thought we could go on a trip," Emma suggested.

Thomas raised a curious eyebrow, exhaled smoke from his lungs, and asked, "A trip? Where to?"

"Dublin," burst out Emma with the idea, "Lady Sybil and Tom wrote me a letter. They say Ireland is magical, and I really want to meet some lep-re-chauns."

"And you thought we could just pop over there for half a day?" Thomas concluded, amused.

Emma shrugged innocently, "You never get much time off."

"Do you even know where Dublin is?" Thomas chuckled.

"Ireland," grinned Emma cheekily. She wasn't stupid. She knew Dublin was in Ireland.

"And you think we can manage that in just half a day off?" Thomas doubted.

Again, Emma just shrugged, "Ireland's right next to England, after all. We could take the train."

"You're a little adventurous dwarf, that's what you are," Thomas said, smiling, "But a trip to Dublin would take several days. We can't do it on half a day off." Though only seven years old, Emma had the enthusiasm and charm of a whirlwind. Her heart was full of curiosity and a thirst for adventure, and Thomas admired those qualities in her.

"Then you take more days off!" Emma enthusiastically suggested.

"You're quite persistent, little dwarf. But it's not that simple. I can't just leave for several days, and such a trip costs a lot of money."

"I could ask Mr. Carson if he can give you time off, and maybe he'll even give you more pocket money," Emma suggested. Before Thomas could respond that this was a pretty foolish idea, Emma was already running out of the servants' hall.