A New Year (January 1920)

Start from the beginning

"My bad influence?" Miss O'Brien raised an eyebrow.

"I wouldn't particularly approve of either of your influences," Anna chimed in, looking up from her reading, "But for once, I agree with Thomas. Playing such a game with a 7-year-old isn't right. Especially since we all know the truth about Emma's origins."

"The brat doesn't seem very happy in Thomas' presence. So I just wanted to do her a favor."

Thomas took another drag of his cigarette, his brow furrowing as he contemplated O'Brien's words. He knew that his relationship with Emma wasn't always straightforward. He had been cautious about letting her get too close, afraid of letting his own emotions overwhelm him. But he also recognized that he needed to do better, to be more present in her life. He honestly believed that he was improving as a father. He spent a lot more time with his daughter, helping her with her homework and listening to her talks.

"Emma's happiness is my concern," Thomas said evenly, his gaze steady on O'Brien. "And I believe I know how to handle that without your intervention."

"I just wanted to cheer up the brat," O'Brien stated.

"Cheering her up is one thing, Miss O'Brien, but playing with her emotions and dangling false hopes in front of her is another. She's a child, not a pawn in your games. By the way my daughter is not a brat." 

O'Brien rolled her eyes dismissively, clearly not taking his words seriously. "Suit yourself, Barrow. But mark my words, you are bound to regret letting her into your life." With those cryptic words, O'Brien left the room, leaving Thomas alone with his thoughts. He knew that O'Brien could be manipulative and deceitful, and he was wary of her intentions.

"I don't understand why Miss O'Brien is a bad influence," Emma asked curiously as Thomas returned to the bedroom late in the evening. Thomas raised an eyebrow in surprise as he hung his jacket over the chair.

"You should really stop eavesdropping – Miss Emma," he said, taking off his shoes and getting his things ready for the night.

"I wasn't eavesdropping. You were just talking loudly."

"So, you heard us up here," Thomas questioned suspiciously, giving the 7-year-old a stern look.

"Children have really good ears."

Thomas sighed. It was pointless to argue with a child; they always had the last word. "She's a deceitful person, that's why I don't want Miss O'Brien around you. She's hurt you enough."

"But this time, she just wanted to help me talk to Mama."

"That's exactly what I mean. The game is very unreliable."

"You never talk about Mama..." Emma stated, sadly.

He sat down beside her and gently placed an arm around her shoulders, "You have her hair color, freckles, nose," Thomas listed, though he had heard from villagers that the child looked more like him.

"How did you two meet?"

"We knew each other from school," Thomas hesitated, "We were married, but she lived with her parents." He couldn't tell the truth, and somehow he had to maintain the story Lady Mary had concocted.

"Why don't I know my grandparents at all?"

"Because... they're also dead... I think it's better to look to the future and not talk about the past." Thomas lied and grabbed the chocolate before sitting next to Emma on the bed again. Leaning against the wall, they shared the chocolate bar together.

"Are you happy?" Thomas asked with interest.

Emma shrugged, "I think so," she confessed. "I like my school and friends, and I get to help Mrs. Patmore with baking, and sometimes even sneak some dough," she said excitedly.