Chapter Fourteen

Randolf had been biting his nails for over an hour. He could have sworn by Cygnus that he had seen Aldric walk into his room, but when he knocked, there was no one inside.

Had Aldric really left in the time it took him to climb down the tree?

He would have to head out soon, he did not want Leif to think him captured or dead.

He would try one more time, maybe Aldric would be there.

He climbed down the tree and again knocked on the balcony door.

Please Aldric, please be in there somewhere where I cannot see you. I need to know that you are okay. You do not have to come back into exile with me, I just need to know that you are okay. Please Aldric. Please somehow be in your room.

There was no motion inside the room.

Aldric was not there…. Until he was.

Randolf was about to turn to climb down the tree and run for the forest, when he saw movement.

Aldric was crawling out from underneath his bed.

Randolf waved like a madman.

Aldric sped to the door and yanked open the glass doors.

“Why on earth are you doing here,” He asked, pulling Randolf into his room. “You should not be anywhere near the castle, let alone inside it.”

“Sorry….. I just thought…. I,” His shoulders sagged in defeat. “I was worried. I did not know what happened to you. The Monarch… How was I supposed to know how she would react?”

Aldric smiled, looking down at his feet. “Thanks.”

They were silent for a moment.

“So…. are you going come-”

There was a loud banging on the door.

Both their eyes went wide in panic.

F*ck.

“Hide in here,” Aldric said, running to his closet.

He opened the door and books spilled out.

“Shit,” Aldric whisper screamed, closing the door.

More banging.

Randolf dove under the bed.

Not the best place to hide, but it is the only thing left.

Aldric kicked some of the fallen books under the bed with him.

“Come in,” Aldric shouted.

The door swung open, there were shuffling feet, then the door slammed shut again.

“Thank Cygnus,” Hemlock said in relief. “That f*cking bitch is going to be the end of me.”

“Lady Elizabeth again?” Aldric asked as a weight fell on the bed.

“Yes, and I will repeat, she will be the end of me. She acts like the whole  reason she exists is to annoy me to death.”

“I thought the monarch chose her because she thought you two would get along.”

Hemlock openly laughed. “F*ck no. The Monarch could care less about me liking her. The Monarch just found the richest bitch with the best f*cking genes.”

Randolf winced. He knew Aldrin's life had not been the best, him being the only child of the monarch that was not openly sadistic, but it never crossed his mind that his siblings may be suffering the same amount of pain.

“I am sure that is not really the cause,” Aldric said.”

“Have you met our mother?”

“Yes.”

Hemlock sighed. “Do you mind if I chill here for a little while? I do not really want to go downstairs and speak to her… again.”

“Um…. no.”

“What, Why?” Hemlock pleaded. “Can you please just do this one thing for your tormented brother?”

“What I meant to say is that if you do not go talk to her, it would look like you are hiding from her. It would probably make her feel… devilish. What I meant to ask is if you really wanted to hide.”

“I am positive that I want to hide from her until she leaves.”

Randolf’s leg started to cramp up, he had to bite his tongue as he tried to rub it out. It did not stop. He tried to slowly move his leg, but in the process, accidentally kicked a book out from under the bed and into the sights of Aldric and Hemlock.

F*ck!

“Aldric,” Hemlock shouted. “Get back. There is an assassin here.”