“Ya Leena it was--”

“An accident?” Aleena interrupted. “Ayma, you cannot cook, for crying out loud. Look at this kitchen.” She gestured with her hands. “How did it happen?” She asked, standing akimbo.

Despite her months of being away from home, she was starting to regret coming back. Most of Aleena’s life was no doubt in Nigeria; but Stanford played a huge and important role too. She was twenty when she began med school, it’s been almost a little over two years—she’d be a huge liar to say she didn’t miss her foreign friends.

Nonetheless, been home again was another great feeling on its own. She missed her family, even her rebellious youngest sister, Ayma—who she undoubtedly loved more. But now with the state their kitchen was in, she was starting to ponder over her words.

Ayma began to explain herself, “Wallahi Ya Leena, I only thought of doing something good for the family—especially with you back home after my months of missing you, I thought it was a great idea. I thought that it would work out this time, I swear. I even thought --”

She interrupted, “Ayma, can you just stop saying that word? I only asked you to explain yourself, not to tell me your thoughts for God’s sake,” Aleena rubbed her temples.

Ayma looked ready to cry at any moment from then. “Okay,” she sighed. “So after I uh...mixed the batter, I was about to put the pan it was in, into the oven. But then, I slipped on this,” she briefly gestured toward what looked like spilt melted butter. “I fell, the pan fell and the batter suffered the same fate.” It hurt her to think of her little accident.

Why did she have to be born a klutz?!

“And the splashes on the walls?” Aleena inquired.

The other girl looked hesitant at first. “I got so furious, Ya Leena, so I...I scooped the little that remained of the batter and splashed it on the wall.” She was quick to add, “By Allah, Ya Aleena I never meant for this to happen. I was so so angry after the batter thing. I just wanted to do something good and it ended up bad.” She looked down.

Aleena remained wordless for a while, whilst Ayma grew more scared of the outcome of her outburst.

She really needed to learn to control her temper.

“What if mom or dad were to see this? What would you have told them?” Not knowing how to answer her older sister, Ayma was silent. “Look at me, Ayma.”

She did after a few seconds had passed. “I do understand your efforts, alright?” She asked softly, before leading them to the counter stools. “I also understand that you have the passion for cooking, but do not give up just yet because of some unavoidable silly little mistakes we all make, okay?”

Ayma slowly nodded.

“You can never make a perfect without making mistakes. Do you think the perfect cooking videos you watch don’t make mistakes? They do, but edit it. Nothing good comes easy, Ayma. You wanted to do something good as you said, and it won’t ever be good without struggles...”

She affectionately held her hands, Ayma’s eyes met hers. “...life is full of obstacles and we have to struggle to overcome those obstacles. Same for your ‘attempted’ chocolate cake. You cannot just learn something overnight without practice.”

Ayma was clearly still doubtful of herself. “Ya Leena --”

Aleena held up a finger, “let me finish,” Ayma folded her lips in.

“You just need to know the basics and keep practicing. Do not ever think of throwing away your passion just like that. Hm?”

“B-but...” The slight glare sent her way halted the words from escaping through her lips.