- Chapter One -

She was falling, falling, falling. The world devoid of any semblance of human life. The black void swallowed her one limb at a time. She felt herself shudder as she tried to escape her mental prison. She needed to focus on her class.

"As I was saying, class, the idea of Columbus discovering America is far from the truth. We live in a world where lies are present and as such, much of the history you have learned before now, is a result of that."

Lying.

She knew about that. She lied to herself every moment, every day, every waking hour. She scooped her feelings out with a shovel and dug them deep into the earth. Never to be seen again. Never, never, never.

"Amity?" Called someone near her, the voice faintly familiar. "Amity, it's me, Boscha. What's wrong?"

They had been childhood friends for years but nobody knew the truth except her and her siblings. Nobody would ever know. Here in Emblem City, reputation was everything.

"I'm fine," She responded as she shook herself straight. "Just tired."

Her friend gave her an incredulous look but returned to her open notebook, writing down a few notes that were on the board from their Global Studies. She hated the mundane tasks of every day, she hated the waiting, the repetition of everything. She hated being seventeen and having no clue what she wanted to do with her life. She felt herself sink into the chair.

She was a trust fund baby. A result of rich parents who didn't care what they did as long as they didn't tarnish their perfectly curated images. It made her dizzy. It made her want to scream.

From the other side of her, another voice spoke. This time, she had no trouble recognizing it. Everybody knew Luz Noceda. The girl who caught the soccer team's jerseys on fire during her first year here. As such, she was deemed an outcast by the rest of the grade.

You only spoke to her if you were one too. Secretly, her heart hurt for the girl but she didn't need any more stress in her life. She didn't need the hardship. She sighed. "What do you want, Noceda? You know you aren't supposed to be speaking to me."

L:uz's smile wavered. "I know..I just wanted to make sure you were alright, okay?"

"Thanks but no thanks."

Immediately, something in her eyes changed and she stared at the purple-haired girl. Her tone was quiet but the words shook with a wave of anger so strong, Amity felt herself blink in surprise. "I was only trying to help, you are an absolute delight." She drawled.

"We all know how you helping would end up."

"Girls!" Spoke the teacher up front, Amity felt her ears pink as the eyes around them turned to glare at her. "Please stop the bickering. If you think you're incapable of doing so, I must kick you out of my classr00m. Your classmates are here to learn too, not just you."

"Shut up." She snapped as she saw Boscha open her mouth to say something. "Just shut up!"

"That's it!" Mrs. Minn slammed down her hands on the desk. "Out! Both of you! Out, out, out!" She quickly walked over to them, herding them through the door like two small children.

Once the door had shut with a loud bang, Luz turned toward her. "Thanks, Amity." She said, her voice dripping in sarcasm.

Amity felt herself agreeing silently but she shook her head and stalked down the hall. "You ruin everything, Luz!"

What she didn't see were the silent tears already streaming down her classmate's face as she rounded the corner.

Luz stared at her hands, whispering to herself. "I know."