Chapter 5 - Family

I woke up early the next morning to get ready for work

I woke up early the next morning to get ready for work. I couldn't be late on my first day. Drew had already gone to work when I woke up, the house was quiet without him bustling around so early in the morning.

As soon as I walked out of the house I was surprised to find my car standing on the gravel driveway. Drew must have brought it earlier. The thought of him doing something so sweet made my heart ache. He may be a grump but I thought he was secretly a big softie on the inside. I took a closer look and my car and saw that it had brand new tires. I made a mental note to pay Drew back for paying for the repairs for my red coupe. Giddy with excitement I climbed into my newly fixed car and drove to Lexi's cafe.

My first day at Lexi's cafe flew by quickly. It was hard to adjust at first but eventually, I got the hang of it. I was on the last hour of my shift when I was greeted by a familiar handsome face. "What are you doing here?" I asked Drew pointedly and narrowed my eyes at him as I stood behind the counter. "Can't a man get some coffee in this town?" Drew taunted as he raised his brow. I scoffed. His sister appeared next to me and his playful expression was gone. Was he shy being seen flirting with me? "Hey, big bro."

"Hey sis, I'm actually in a rush. Can I get a coffee to go?" Drew asked his sister. She nodded and quickly made his coffee. Drew and I stood there in silence while we waited for Lexi to finish his drink. When she finally finished he took his drink greedily and slipped out of the coffee shop.

"Weird," Lexi said as she stood next to me. "What?" I turned to her in confusion. "He usually doesn't stop by my coffee shop so regularly. He only comes about twice a month. Guess something made him want to come here." Lexi pondered next to me before carrying on with work. A thought popped into my head but I immediately pushed it away.

***

I arrived back at Drew's place, or should I say our place just before sunset. I had a very busy first day at the cafe but I felt good knowing that I had some secure income. I had just stepped out of my car when my phone abruptly started ringing in my back pocket. I stood on the gravel driveway as I pulled it out and saw that it was my father calling. He was the last person I wanted to talk to now. I declined his call again. I had gotten four calls from him in the last two days. It was getting absurd.

I sighed and looked up from my phone at the beautiful pink and purple coloured sky. Drew's house was on a hill and the view from up here was indescribable. I stared at the sky for a few minutes until the purple melted into a darker shade of blue and then walked up to Drew's house.

Drew was sitting on a couch in the living room when I walked in. He was busy typing on his laptop, probably doing some admin for the winery. His head snapped up as he heard the floorboards creak as I moved closer to him. "Hey." He said with a small smile before continuing to type on his laptop. Was it just me or was he busy warming up to me?