Then they found Alain's body in the woods of Ang Kur and Kiet could no longer bear to walk those dusty passages. His mother's laced athyrium grew wild over the entry, keeping its turning stone all the more hidden, until eventually she had them all uprooted and had their bath house built over it.

'Take my sisters and the servants.' He nodded presently at Akai. 'Follow the tunnel all the way south; it will take you out the anterior ring, and from there—'

'They are too narrow for everyone to make a fast escape, and the Maha Garda have already surrounded the compound!' There was real urgency in Akai's voice. He stopped paces before Kiet and paused to correct his tone. 'Besides, we cannot have near a hundred people exiting out of the ground and right into the heart of the city. Not without attracting attention. We will have to prioritise your sisters.'

'I'll suffer no servant left behind.' Gods knew what Khaisan would do to them—or anyone he suspected loyal to Kiet.

Akai scowled. 'Then it will need to be paced, maharaj, and for that we require time.'

Which we have none of. Already the clamour of steel and boots faded in through the windows. His men outside tensed, watching the compound gates ahead of them with hands on their weapons. Kiet turned back to Akai with a snarl. 'Then get to it. Start with my sisters and have your men pace out the servants. I will buy you time.'

'What? It is you they want. You should go to your sisters. My men and I will—'

'Your men and you will be slaughtered in a matter of seconds.'

A deafening boom interrupted Akai's reply. The gates outside rattled. The soldiers drew their swords. They're battering it down.

'Away from the windows!' Akai pulled him back into the hallway with a start. 'We can't let them see you.'

Kiet let his captain take him deeper into the southern wing, where the sound of battering wood faded into a dull thumping and they could at least pretend they had a little more time to argue.

'If it's the dhayang you're concerned about, Master Mandabu will find her. I am their captain. Let me stay with my men.'

'You expect me to leave my soldiers here to die on their own?'

'It is our sworn duty. We knew what we signed up for.'

'The moment the therapeuts examine Judhistir's body will they find evidence that he has been drugged. Do you understand?' Kiet checked the leather beneath his robes, tightened them one last time. 'If the aqhla is found within my premises or carried by any one of my servants, it will be proof enough for Khaisan that I have murdered the Rama. Sindhu needs time to rid us of all the evidence and find Isla on top of it. Much more time than you can offer. Without me, they will cut you all down without hesitation, and all their deaths will be for nothing.'

'You underestimate our skill.'

'It is not the time now to be sensitive! I question not your prowess; it is simply that Khaisan will waste no time before having them breach the walls and storm us from all corners in order to find and apprehend me. The bath house will be crawling with Maha Garda in a matter of seconds—then can all of us forget about those tunnels.' And Sindhu has yet to find her. 'We need to keep the bath house clear long enough for everyone to make their way through, and I am the only one who can keep Khaisan talking.'

He stopped with a wince, for an unearthly silence suddenly filled his head. The dull booming of the gates was cut to an abrupt stillness. He saw Akai gasp, saw his lips move to speak, but he heard nothing. But the interlude ended just as quick and sudden as it came, and in its place came a bellowing voice that echoed as though right from the walls. 'The Maha Garda by order of His Highness, the Honourable Maha Rama Khaisan Ametjas, requests the peaceful surrender of Maharaj Kiet Ametjas, patricide and kingslayer.'

Kiet snarled, wondering which he liked less: his appellation, or Khaisan's.

But the royal herald continued, the windows vibrating in his swarapeucy. 'For this in return the Rama graciously offers to pardon his men and any those found implicated in his act of treason this afternoon of the three-hundred, fifty-and-seventh day of the year 339 pos forma.'

All of them? It sounded too good a promise. Khaisan's word was as worthless and fleeting as sand castles in a dune ... but even so ...

Akai knew his thoughts immediately and stepped in Kiet's way before he made for the closest exit. 'He'll kill you.'

'Get—my sisters—out of here.' Kiet pushed him out of his way.

END CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR 

☆ this chapter is dedicated to La-rai ☆

this chapter is dedicated to La-rai 

Video: RainMaster
Image: Bottom left image—© Nuit Blanche at ArtStation; remaining images—original artists unknown