1 • THE DRAGON'S CALL

Start from the beginning

"There is only one evil in this land, and it is not magic! It is you! With your hatred and your ignorance! You took my son!" Eowyn looked down. Who would accept her son's unjust execution for a crime that had not been proven true? Anyone in her shoes would react the same way. "And I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a son for a son,"

Before the obvious threat against his flesh and blood, Uther's eyes darkened and he wasted no time to react. He demanded her arrest, but before the guards could get hold of her, the old woman chanted a spell and disappeared in a whirl of wind. Murmurs and whispers emerged as Merlin quickly took his sister's hand and left the square. If Eowyn believed they could get a better life here, her hopes quickly turned into worries after such events. It was not the kind of welcome she had expected to see upon her arrival.

The siblings wandered a bit in the castle until they found two guards. Being the older one, Merlin asked a guard where Gaius, the court physician sojourned. Without a word or even a glance, the guard pointed toward the stairs behind him so the two siblings followed his directions. A door was at the top of the stairs. Hunith, their mom, believed that they would learn a lot by becoming the court physician's apprentices which was the reason behind their presence in the kingdom. Apparently, Hunith and Gaius were long-time friends which was how their mom had a contact within the castle of Camelot. It did surprise Eowyn but did not ask further questions. She was too excited to leave for Camelot to care.

"Hello?" Merlin asked, as he peeked inside the room and stepped inside it.

Shortly behind him, Eowyn followed and her eyes widened and twinkled with amazement at the sight before her. Tables were dispatched here and there with countless scientific tools, potions, scrolls, and plants were laid. With a wide smile, Eowyn walked further into the room and began examining a glass container with a strange-colored liquid inside. She slightly tapped it with her finger, watching the potion wave back and forth into the container. Her smile only grew wider when her eyes caught sight of the many books filling the shelves of the library section of the quarters. There were a lot more books than in Ealdor's microscopic library. Compared to it, this place was a paradise for education. So naturally, when their mom sent her to study with a physician, Eowyn immediately agreed. She would never turn down an opportunity to learn and broaden her knowledge. And Camelot was the perfect place for that, despite its king.

"Hello? Gaius?"

Hearing her brother's voice again, Eowyn walked back to stand beside him. Following his line of sight, the girl finally spotted the physician who was browsing his library. He seemed not to have heard Merlin's words so the young man cleared his throat, in an attempt to catch his attention. However, the sudden sound startled the court physician who tripped and fell off the small ladder he was on, breaking the wooden railing in his fall. On instinct, Merlin's eyes glowed gold as he commanded the bed on the other side of the room to slide right under the old man to cushion the fall.

Besides him, Eowyn widened her eyes and slapped Merlin's arm who winced in pain.

"What?" He whispered, offended.

"No magic, you idiot!"

"I couldn't just let him fall!"

"You should have tried to catch him!"

"And get myself crushed? No, thank you,"

All Eowyn did was roll her eyes just as Gaius rapidly stood back up and strode to the siblings.

"What did you just do? Tell me!"