Chapter 6

Hey guys I'm really sorry I haven't been posting! I was out all day yesterday so to make up for it I'm uploading 3 chapters today! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been two week since James had become a part of our civilisation. Although, he had mixed so well with the people that it felt like he was always here.

The merfolk accepted him as one of their own within days, which was twice as long as it took for me. I was happy with his acceptance nonetheless.

The man, and yes, those are what human merman are called, sucked up information much faster than an Octupus' tentacles. He truly was a natural.

James and I raced through the ocean after I heard the whisper of another shipwreck. The shipwrecks have become even more frequent since I saved James. I was yet to discover whether it was a sign or not.

James may have adjusted to the merfolk lifestyle, but he didn't have the abilities of our people. That was where the Patriarch drew the line. He didn't want James having an advantage over the rest of us. So James would have to rely on me to understand the sea creatures whispers.

I obviously reached the shipwreck before James did, laughing at his persistence to be better than me.

"That's so not fair, you have eighteen years more experience!" rippled the temporary merman in agitation. He really was a sore loser.

"Okay, time to get serious. We need to examine this shipwreck and see if there's any useful information here", I spoke to my companion.

We split up, searching every plank in every room of the ship. We came up with nothing useful, so we decided to swim away from the wreck to hear  if there was any more whispers from the fish. The whispers have been so active that we haven't been back to the city all day. We were worried but confident that everything was okay.

That was until I felt a panicked ripple tickle at my back.

I turned in a panic, ready to defend James. Only then did I see the message. It was clear as day. We would of noticed it if we weren't so busy in our race.

"You have stolen from us. Suffer."

I gulped at the message, feeling myself turn even whiter than before.

James turned to me, trying to calm me down. "It's okay Palaimon, it's okay. Just relax. Hey! Relax! PALAIMON! RELAX!" I could hear him say against my skin. I wanted to respond, but I couldn't. I was inconsolable, completely shaken. Until James did something I had secretly desired since I first met him.

I instantly woke up from my daze, completely surprised from what had just happened. "We should get going, we have to warn the pod!" advised James.

I nodded in reply, he was right.

We swam as fast as we could towards the city. Ready to face the wrath of what I had done. I stole a kill from the Sirens. They weren't happy about it. I was going to be in big trouble.

But I didn't care about that. I didn't care about anything that was happening. The reason for that was because of one thing.

One simple thing rang through my mind, keeping me completely distracted from the horrors of what was going to happen.

One simple, beautiful thing that I've never felt for someone before.

Merfolk had a higher affinity to love than humans. My parents taught me all about it, they said that humans have sex organs. They're these weird things that allow two humans to connect in a way no merfolk couple can.

Merfolk don't have sex organs, so instead they just feel love. When they feel love, they feel it hard and fast.

I felt love.

I'm distracted because I'm in love with James.

I'm also distracted because James just kissed me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to comment and vote! :)