Pretend (Pick/Rome)

Tossing and turning on the bed, Rome's eyes shot open. Gasping and shaking, he felt cold sweat running down his back. The nightmares were back. He tried to steady his breathing before glancing at the other side of the king-sized bed. The spot beside him was empty again, cold to touch. Sighing, Rome crawled from under the duvet, slowly peddling down the stairs. Walking into the kitchen, he turned on the small light under the cupboard, illuminating the dark room. Rome reached for his favourite cup and turned on the coffeemaker. He was still shaking from the nightmare and needed to calm himself down. Pick was not home still or yet. His shifts begin to take almost all his time. 

Rome could pretend he didn't mind. He could pretend he was okay with it, that he understood. But inside, he was dying. His anxieties and fears appear in the form of nightmares. The coffeemaker beeped, pulling him out of the thinking. Pouring a hot liquid into his mug, Rome dragged himself towards the faintly illuminated living room. He plopped on the sofa, clutching the cup with both hands. He sat quietly, sipping the dark, bitter beverage until it was gone. 

The nights without Pick were lonely and cold. He should be used to it. This was their new routine. Pick working late at night. And Rome, spending those nights alone only accompanied by scary dreams. He didn't tell his boyfriend about it. He didn't want to bother him. The nightmares weren't frequent after all. Rome sighed, standing up and checking the time before putting the empty mug into the sink. He slowly walked back to their bedroom, sinking under the now-cold blanket. 

Rome closed his eyes. It was near midnight, and Pick would be home soon. He imagined the warm hands curling around him, driving away the nightmares lurking in the corner of his tired mind. Like this in Pick's arms, he can continue enduring the lonely nights.