▷▷ 2. ONE GOAL, 100 STEPS

The next day, Niomi and Serafina walked through the corridor while talking. A long white carpet spread over the tiles, and Niomi was currently leaving marks on it with her muddy sneakers.

"So, dude, why were ya so grumpy yesterday?" Niomi asked her, keeping her hands in her pockets.

"You act as if nothing happened, as far as I can see," Serafina said in a serious tone, crossing her arms.

"Come on, Estafanio is teasing us. There's no way he's actually marrying a bodyguard to whom he won't even talk, ha ha."

"Is all of this funny to you?! Whatever his real reason is, it will get the whole family into trouble. He will get me into trouble. This is serious!" Serafina turned towards her, waving her arms.

Niomi shook her head nonchalantly. "The family's falling apart anyway, I mean, he does everythin', and what does he get in return?"

"I also work day and night, Niomi. That is no excuse for him."

"Eh, you're just jealous."

Hearing that, she frowned. "I'm not jealous! You see, he still manages to avoid some rules, but I ... Ugh! I don't have those skills ... I always get the short end of the stick." Serafina's tone became desperate. "Fortunately, now that I am 38, I no longer have the possibility of marriage, so I managed to free myself from that, but Mom will already find other sanctions. I don't trust Estafanio either, a man like this is not worthy of him, at least, he would say so."

"Yeah, ya know, that's exactly what I said."

"But then why is he doing this? Not to mention that the wedding will be in a week ... just what is on his mind?"

"It's hard to read him, not like I can normally read, and especially not him."

Although Niomi said this in a silly way (Niomi can read), Serafina agreed with her. She decided to go outside to get some air. Life was already hard enough; she had to make sure it didn't get any worse. He doesn't even understand the situation he's put us in, Serafina thought, clenching her palms.

 He doesn't even understand the situation he's put us in, Serafina thought, clenching her palms

During that time, Estafanio found himself in Marko's room while he was rearranging something.

"Marko, it seems we have a big problem," Estafanio remarked.

"We could've expected that," Marko spoke with a lack of enthusiasm as he lay on the bed with his hands behind his head.

"My sister, who is the second oldest, grouchily left the hall yesterday. I know that look of hers. It means she is not convinced."

He stood up suddenly. "Will that disrupt the plans?"

"Um, it certainly could if she manages to prove to the rest of the family that this is a scam. But she should know that'll hurt her reputation, which she especially doesn't want. She always sticks to the rules so rigidly, and that's the only reason she suffers. Listen, I abide them too because I have to, but she ... I truly don't understand her," Estafanio explained, fixing his hair.