004| manifesting miracles

Lucy 1x03| tell it to the frogs———————————————————————————

Lucy
1x03| tell it to the frogs
———————————————————————————

Dull clouds encompassed the skyline, refusing to part even well into the afternoon — bloated with rain; their dreary presence infected the camp's already anxious spirits with a rather somber mood.

With the news of the supply group's impending doom, people had forgone their chores in favor of hovering by the radio. Naively praying for some sort of miracle to save their loved ones from being eaten alive in Atlanta. Or worse, bitten and turned into another monster.

Lucy shuttered at the thought, head resting on her knees as she watched the others move around camp in a failed attempt at normalcy. The journal Amy lent to her was long discarded by her heel in favor of drawing in the mud with a stick. She could barely read the words on the page anyway, despite Amy's reassurance that it wouldn't matter. The letters recognizable, but her brain unable to connect them to real coherent words and sounds. Her mind was far too active to settle down and read the words.

Rain began to drizzle down to the campers around midday. The weather which used to fill the teenager with elation, was a true marker of fast approaching fall. But her joy was only fruitful back when the season signified warm coffees, horror movies, and pumpkin patches with her family — safe to say rain as the token of fall no longer offered her the same joy. Instead filling her up with an unruly anxiety and an unrelenting promise of winter looming.

They'd need a better place to hold up by then, the makeshift camp filled with tents, potholes, and god knows what else lurking in the surrounding woods, would not be sufficient for the winter. They'd all die of starvation and hypothermia, and that would be only if the geeks and bears didn't get to them first. A terrifying thought even Lori's reassurance couldn't fix.

Lucy often dreamt of a haven. Maybe a house where her family could live and be normal again. The four of them; Lucy, her mom, Carl, and...her dad. He was still a frequent visitor in her dreams, and he always would be if Lucy had her say. After all, her dreams were a place where the impossible became possible. If she wanted to paint a pretty picture of her family together, no one could stop her.

Not even Carl, who woke up that morning with an unsettling attitude and a cold stare, the streak following him well into the afternoon. The bleak atmosphere of the campers not doing any wonder to his morale.

No matter how hard she tried to shake it, Lucy was unable to forget her brother's words. The nonchalant approach to talking about their father's death, and the evilness of the person who did it. Carl couldn't be growing cold in this world already could he? He was only twelve years old, his childhood being ripped from his grasp every time the group put the "needs" of the many over the needs of the few.

Lori, who always knew how to distract her children, suggested a haircut. Squinting at her children, and the horrid mess their hair was in after only gone three months without one.