001| pandora's box

Lucypre 1x01 | original episode———————————————————————————

Lucy
pre 1x01 | original episode———————————————————————————

The end of the world wasn't a future anyone could have predicted. Mankind was too technologically advanced. Moved too far past the unsuspecting possibility of an extinction event. Yet, human hubris became their downfall.

This was their extinction event...

Amidst the crumbling ruin of the old world, Lucy Grimes remained one of the few living inhabitants; whether she considered herself lucky or cursed — well it really depended on the day.

The world didn't end for the Grimes family on the day the dead rose. No, that happened a week prior when Lucy's father, was shot in the line of duty.

With the initial shock of the incident wearing off three days later, she sat on the broken chair next to his hospital bed. Watching the machines pumping oxygen into his chest, go up and down. The clock on the wall clicked in unison with his every measly breath.

Truth be told, the thousands of machines he'd been plastered to, and the feeding tube impaled through his throat weren't doing much for her morale.

Rick Grimes did not die per se. But if you were to ask Lucy, she would argue a part of him did. What was the difference between her father being in a coma and being dead? Either way, he was gone, and the likelihood of him waking up again dwelling,

Every. Single. Day.

Still, she stayed rooted in the chair, praying for a miracle to occur. Some kind of miraculous event to stitch her family back together again.

Somehow, somewhere in the universe, the small pleas of the fifteen-year-old girl had been answered; even if the miracle occurred in a way she never would have imagined.

"What are you doing?" Lucy asked. Her younger brother, Carl, repeatedly threw a rubber ball against the wall.

He sighed, sinking further against the wall as he continued the game. Sat on the floor, in one of the corners of the small but private hospital room; Rick's status of a well-respected sheriff's deputy in the town offered his family that courtesy. One many of the other inhabitants lacked, with an increasing number of patients, and no beds to give them.

A strange flu had been going around Kings Country Georgia. One of her father's nurses told Lucy such when she passed the girl in the hallway earlier that day. Hurrying off to a room down the hall, inhabited by incessant screams and a frenzy of white coats.

"I'm trying to see how many times I can catch the ball," he said, legs crisscrossed, his red shoes stark against the backdrop of the pure white floors. "Twelve."