Chapter 6- When You're All Alone Pt. 2✔️

I send her inside and start working on moving the mountain of bags

It's not at all what I planned or wanted to be doing, and frankly, I'm not too happy about it.

However, after seeing how excited she seemed to be about having her possessions and then watching how she tried to hide how upset she was when she looked into one of the bags, I figure I'll keep my damn mouth shut for now and not add to it.

Besides, I can't leave all this shit piled up on the street.

I also can't help but wonder what happened after she left last night. Between the bags and the looks of that busted lip she has something is bound to have occured, but I guess I'll have time to ask her about it later, if I still find myself caring.

"There, I think that's the lot of it." I say this as I walk in with the last bag, sitting it up against the wall.

Inside, they appear to take up more space than they did on the sidewalk. I don't let my eyes linger on it for too long because I know if I do, the chances of me saying something will be higher.

"Thank you." She says, lifting her head, and I can see the evidence of drying tears on her face. "So do you want me to move this stuff out of your way now? Or do you want to start on the files?"

My eyes wander once again from her to the pile and back. I exhale loudly and rub the bridge of my nose before going ahead and asking what I know will come up at some point today anyway. "How exactly do you plan to get this stuff out of here? When you get ready to leave, I mean?" I add the second question after realizing how sharp my tone is with the first.

"Well, um, I can, well..." Her voice trails off, and she looks like she is trying hard to figure out a solution to what is obviously a problem.

"Ugh. Just forget it for now. We'll figure out something this afternoon. For the time being, your bags can mingle with my boxes, and maybe if we're lucky by this time tomorrow, this place will start looking more like a proper office again instead of a storage unit.

She gives me a half-smile and a nod. "I'll start filing if you want to keep sorting through the boxes. Is Rachel coming in or...?"

?"